My daughter is 3 and seems to rub herself against things to fall asleep, help? adult content

She hasn't been sexually abused, that I know of! I am worried though. I talked to her and told her to only do it in her room by herself. What should I do???

Filipanko

Asked by Filipanko at 11:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it's normal, unsettling sometimes, but normal. She discovered something that feels good.
    You did all you can do, you don't want her to feel ashamed of it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She hasn't been sexually abused, that I know of!

this is the part that worries me...."that i know of" has she been around people without you being present? it could happen.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• other than you saying that..i would say it is completely normal.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you so much! She started doing this right after potty training. I thought it was just a way of life. It really is unsettling, I was sexually abused and my mind just goes straight to that everytime. What should I do so she doesn't feel ashamed.
    Filipanko

Comment by Filipanko (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We are very strict about who she with. But this day an age it comes from people you never knew would do that. Other then this, there are no red flags. This may not be coming across right. I just dont like it at all.
    Filipanko

Comment by Filipanko (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• mine started soon after letting her attempt washing herself in the tub with the washcloth.

you did it right, just tell her that's something to be done alone & in private. no yelling or punishing or anything like that.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you DarkFaery131. Very helpful
    Filipanko

Comment by Filipanko (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• as long as you don't make a big fuss over it she wont feel ashamed...i agree to tell her to only do it in private and not in front of everyone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• it's totally normal... my youngest (nearly 2) will take off her diaper and "explore" her genitals. we talk and let her know that it's not proper to do outside of the bathroom or her bedroom... and NEVER in public... my oldest never seemed to do it at all. So I was with you, a bit shocked, but found that it's normal and i agree with shay1130, don't make a HUGE deal out of it, it's normal and will pass
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That sounds normal. I just explain to my son that it's a private part, only he is allowed to touch it and that he should go in his room and do it in private. I don't think there is much else to do. You don't want them to think it's "bad" or "dirty." Just something that isn't done around others.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 6:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010