Question for smokers and non-smokers: How do you feel about smokers holding your baby/toddler?

My husband's uncles are all constantly smoking and reek of ciggarettes at all times. Neither one of us smoke, and the smell has always really bothered me because I am allergic. I don't want his uncles holding our baby and toddler ever because every time they do, our kids' hair and clothes smell like smoke until I give them a bath. I want to ask them to not pick them up anymore, but know this is a little extreme. What do you think of this? Would/do you let people who reek of smoke hold your children? Also is it possibly harmful for them to be around the smell, not the actual smoking, just the smell after they have are done smoking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=815
    http://www.no-smoking.org/may02/05-09-02-2.html
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/05/020513080257.htm

If you can, or a non-smoker, can smell smoke...it is affecting your child and anyone else living in the home. Both of my parents were chain smokers when I was young....before they even knew the affects of second hand smoke. I saw how hard it was to stop...the addiction is horrible. Because of that....I never even tried smoking. Now we are learning more and more how much it affects the smoker as well as those around them.

So...to the person who posted this question.....Do what you feel is best. Best of luck!
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 9:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'm ok with it as long as they don't smoke while holding my kid.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't mind as long as they wash their hands before they touch her. I smoke, and I never smoke by her and I always wash my hands.
    tkerst

Answer by tkerst at 7:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

tkerst

Answer by tkerst at 7:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think that would really be kind of rude and hurtful to them. I understand where you are coming from definintly but maybe you should buy some hand sanitizer or something and ask them to use it? Idk..That's really a hard question to answer. I'm completely against smoking around babies and kids but if it's just the smell every once in a while when they come over I don't think it's really a major issue if you just give her a bath and make them wash their hands or something.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree with everyone. As long as their hands are clean and they are not holding a lit cigarette theres no problem! It smells but what can you do?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• and no.. the smell is not harmful just unpleasant! I smoke and can't stand it as much as a non-smoker
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was told by a WIC nurse years ago that you should wear a sweatshirt or jacket or something when you smoke and then take it off because the smoke can stick in the fabric. I'm a smoker, I quit when I was pregnant, but started again when she was 3 months old, and still smoke today. I don't smoke in the house, that's why she told me that. I don't know how true it is, that's just what I was told.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• They recently have done studies...you can look them up on the internet.....that show that parents who smoke outside...their kids have nicotine in their hair. They tested the hair because it stays in the hair instead of the urine where your body will get rid of toxins....(into the hair and nails) I found this out when I found out I had sleep apnea...my doctor said he would have sworn I was a smoker.I have never even tried cigs. I told him my husband (at the time ;) ) smoked outside....he said did not matter. I looked it up on the net....is true! Found several studies.

I know it will come off as rude...but if it bothers YOUR grown up lungs...just think how it affects the little lungs of your babies?

Blessings and Smiles!
    Sherry
    www.SpiritualGiftedPsychic.com
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 8:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• First of all, thats extreme and a little ignorant. I smoke, and i smoke in my basement, yes, im sure a little smoke goes upstairs where my son is, but at least im not smoking in front of him. TELL THEM TO WASH THEIR HANDS thats all, and grow up a little.
    Anonymous