I've been diagnosed with placenta previa...?

It's when the placenta is under the baby instead of on top of it. I'm 37+ weeks pregnant, I haven't had bleeding. My doctor told me to watch out for bleeding and put me on pelvic rest, meaning nothing should go near my vagina. So how long do I wait til I have my baby. I'm gonna have a c section anyways. I'm cramping like a mother and sooo tired,

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would call my Dr. & tell him how you are feeling. This is a very very serious condition. The life of your baby & your life are at stake here. He should have delivered you yesterday. Three weeks early is not too soon! I had placenta previa with my 4th baby with severe bleeding & a vaginal birth, The Dr. caught it just in time as I was already in the hospital & in labor. He told me it was touch & go & I could have lost my son.Please call right away!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you're set on the c-section, then I would wait unitl at least 40 weeks or until you go into labor naturally. You're placenta may move and allow for a vaginal birth - you never know! I would wait as long as possible if you can.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If the Dr. is good with waiting it out then I would hold out as long as possible. At 37 weeks baby's lungs may not be fully developed yet. I've heard stories of babies induced at 39 weeks not having fully developed lungs and having to stay in the nicu. Baby is doing important growing in there so don't rush it if it's not absolutely necessary.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you are bleeding then they might want to give you a C-section soooner. I would call my OB so you can be seen.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010