Persistent pain after a leg cramp.

Two days ago, My left foot cramped very badly and it took about 2 long minutes to go back to normal. First time it ever happened to my foot, n not my calf. The same night,I had a severe long leg cramp, it was killing me slowly.After finally going away, I realized it still hurt. It's 3 days later, and it still hurts alot.It usually comes and goes, but this time, the pain isnt subsiding and I'm having trouble walking on it.???? Anyone have any guesses?

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You need more potassium in your diet! I had some cramps that were so awful and the pain would last for days - up to a week! I started eating at least 1 banana a day (sometimes 2 or 3). I didn't have a cramp again - unless I skipped the banana that day. In the meantime, try massaging the area and stretching it out. I would stand on a step, like you're going up them, except with both feet on the step side by side with toes only. Press heels down as far as you can - use the rail/banister to steady you. Hold and repeat as often as needed. The problem should go away after you give birth. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Along with potassium, leg cramps have also been associated with deficiencies in calcium, magnesium, and zinc. You can take a supplement but most don't absorb well. Try eating lots of dark leafy greens for calcium, take epsom salt baths for magnesium, and pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc. The epsom salt baths will also help with the soreness. Take a warm bath and then stretch it out. I hope that helps.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i am a massage therapist and deal with this a lot. I am preggo and have the same problems. It is normal for a charley horse or leg cramp to hurt for up to a week after it happens. and Katt is right you need more potassium. Make sure you eat foods rich in it, take your prenatals every day, and drink lots and lots and lots and did I say LOTS of water. You will get cramps if you are dehydrated as well and during this time of the year thats easy for us preggers, You can drink water all day long and still be dehydrated. Here is a tip. When you are laying in bed if you get a cramp lay your leg out flat and bend your foot up towards until it subsides. This may hurt but it helps. Also massage the calf and your foot just do not rub around your inside ankle, outside ankle, 3 fingers above the inside of your ankle, and achilles tendon. These can all possibly put you into preterm labor. Hope this helps :)
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 12:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had horrible leg cramps while pregnant this is going to sound crazy but when you do have a leg cramp stand in the tub(get someone to help you-tile/marble also work too) for some odd reason it works to get rid of the tightening of the cramp, and drink tons of water,bananas and do stretches before bed point your toes and relax them.Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It's probably because it tightens the muscle so much that it feels like you actually worked out.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010