This may sound crazy, but...

Okay, I don't give my2 yr old very much sugar at all. ( one, b/c she is wild already and two, I just don't think it is good for her. ) Many of my friend give their LO's tea and cokes and candy and it seems like their LO's aren't as active as mine.. Am I doing the wrong thing by not giving sugar drinks and such? I just want my Lo to slow down a bit b/c I can't keep up with her all day..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• The wrong thing by not giving them sugar?? That is a weird question. Giving young kids coke is definitely wrong! Don't give in. You are doing the right thing according to every pediatrician and dentist out there. Although NEVER giving her candy may be a bit extreme, keeping it out of her regular diet is a GOOD thing. Her activity level is healthy and normal, don't worry too much about what other mothers give their kids.
    Anonymous

• i dont give mine that much,i just give her a sucker here and there,but not that much its not healthy to give them alot of sweats,some candy is fine but i dont give mine pop or tea
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 7:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I give my daughter unsweetened decaf tea since that is what I drink, but sugar gives kids peaks of energy and then they crash...and they get dependent on it, so you are absolutely doing the right thing.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• lol no, you aren't making a mistake by not giving her junk. kids have different activity levels naturally.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 8:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree with the above. My kids definitely don't get much sugar. I'm just now allowing my 4 and half yr old "special treats" of a little ice cream, a fun size chocolate bar, etc. every once in a while. I figure they will get enough sugar later when they aren't under your watch all the time, so why introduce it when they are still growing by the day? If they don't have it, they don't crave it. I swear my kids are the only ones on the street that don't run around carrying junk food. And they are also the ones who won't let me leave the grocery store without buying orange cauliflower! Can't complain there!
    icook

Answer by icook at 8:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My son is 15 months old and I hardly have given or allowed anyone to give him sweets... Coke Cake icecream etc.. And he is already very active.. What he doesnt know to the taste wont hurt him. I love it to because it helps him sleep and he doesnt crave for sweets because he hasnt built a taste for it. Trust me you are doing nothing wrong..
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 8:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Guess it all depends on the age of the child. I let my daughter have sugar on occasion and granted, she acts a little more wild than usual, but I don't let that stop me from letting her have sweets.
    Donna1

Answer by Donna1 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• no definately not. just like everything else in moderation, it is fine.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 10:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• A little sugar is fine..more than that is a bad idea. Your friends children are probably having the drop in energy that comes right after the short burst that simple sugars give. Oddly enough, the sugars that people think cause so much hyperactivity actually cause lethargic feelings as well.

As for your daughter, are you giving her anything at all with nitrates or sulfites? Both of these cause the type of excessive energy that you describe.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2008