Son falling out of bed... Need Options!

I am pregnant with number 3. Until now my youngest (just turned 3) has slept in bed with me. We are trying to get him in to his own bed. He's not fighting to much BUT, he keeps falling out of his toddler bed. When he was in my bed he was between me and a wall, so there was no issue, but he tosses and turns a lot in his sleep. The toddler bed is one of those convertible cribs, so it has 3 sides, and we put a third "mini" side rail (the ones for bigger beds) on the other side. But he keeps rolling against it and falling out of bed on to the floor, which is a good 18 inches below - not a good way to wake up!

Is there anything else I can use that will keep him from falling out, but that would still allow him to climb in and out if he wakes up and needs us or has to use the potty? Or is there some other option?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• How many times has he fallen out? A few times, I wouldn't worry. He will figure out the boundary pretty quickly. If he has fallen out more than 10 times I would put a second mattress down on the floor so if he does roll over and fall off at least he isn't hitting the hard floor. He still needs to figure out how to keep himself from falling out. And he likely will all on his own.
    It is heartbreaking to hear though. Big hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We only moved him in to that bed last Monday, but it's happened every night but one. I don't have a second mattress and I bought an air mattress to put in there so I could sleep on their floor - because we figured it would make the transition easier - his brother popped it (which let me tell you he's STILL in trouble for!) And I just don't have the money for another one... He's asleep when he's rolling, so I don't think he even knows it's happening til he's in mid fall... Both of my boys (like their parents) have issues with sleep and he's always had an issue with the tossing, but in my bed there was no issue with falling...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• What about pillows and other fluffy things? Also if you still have the blow up mattress it may still be fixable. I used hot glue to repair my waterbed mattress once while it was full of water. I didn't think it would work, but it was wonderful.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have been using a couch cushion, I just place it on the floor under that space that the rail does not cover at night. I had woken up to a bug thud a couple nights after I transitioned his crib with a toddler rail and just started laying a couch cushion there at night to cushion his fall although he never whimpered or made any sound just climbed back in his bed and went right back to sleep but his father is a softy and could not handle thinking of him falling out of bed. So, I just put it there to keep his dad happy! I know better, babies and toddlers are way tougher than most people think they are!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We actually have 6, yes - SIX - patches on it and we still can't seem to keep any air in it... I don't know what else to do... Apparently, my oldest just took a pen to it and we can't find - or can't fix all the holes... We just keep finding more... I was thinking of buying more pillows, but wasn't sure if they would really give him any decent cushion... I think my biggest worry is that he'll get stuck or break an arm or something... He's so tiny, but it really is time. If I had the money for another bed like his brothers I would just go get him that... But at this point, my DH is still out of work & so am I beyond what I make online, so that's just not gonna happen...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I didn't think of the couch cushion... I have moved to one couch since Alec broke the air bed, but I could use the ones from the other couch... maybe I'll try that.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• put the crib mattress on floor till he is ready for the bed this way if he rolls he wont hurt himself good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Take the mattress off the toddler bed and put it on the floor. Put the frame away for a while until he learns to stay on the mattress through the night. If he rolls off the mattress, he won't roll as far to the floor.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'd say the bed isnt' big enough for him... he's probably ready for a twin bed by now. Both my kids have been in twins since age 2, and we used those mesh side rails so they didn't roll out. Maybe there just isn't enough room for him to move around in while he sleeps??

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ...ohhh we got the side rails Free from a Freecycle site if that helps!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010