breastfeeding and co sleeping

I have always slept with my daughter she is now one i enjoy breastfeeding and sleeping together but i dont want her to wake up so much and night sometimes it every couple of hours what can i do ? i want more sleep and i dont want to stop co sleeping but do wish to stop breastfeeding so much at night any advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

Here is a good article that may help.  Congratulations on breastfeeding so long you are doing amazing!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I breastfed my firstborn and co slept. when I was ready to stop I just stopped nursing and gave him a bottle. If he woke up in the middle of the night I just gave him a bottle. Are you using a paci or anything. Maybe she justs to suck. hope this helps. good luck,
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I have breastfed and co-slept w/ all of my kids thru probably about 3 years, give or take. Our youngest of 8 children, now 3 has weaned, but is still in our bed. I love it. He was a waker-upper and still is! He is a thirsty child! My husband brings water to bed, and offers it to him and has been for some time. It really cut down on the frequent nursings at nite. Maybe the child is just thirsty. Also, I started wearing inaccessible pjs so that the child didn't get the idea to nurse when they rolled over and noticed an exposed breast. (think pavlov's dog!)
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Try a pacifier.  It may help satisfiy the urge to suck.

amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was having the same problem, My now 16 month old dd was doinfg the same thing... So i decided it was time to wean her and she cried for about 2 nights... I mean through a fit! But now she sleep through the night not waking or waking me up... She didn't want a sippy cup or anything... My oldest wanted a sippy and still does.. she is now 3.. just depends on the child.. and if they can comfort them selves or need a little something to help comfort...Good luck:o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Oh and we still sleep together!!
    emturner

• why dont you start pumping and storeing your milk and try to give her only before going to bed and early morning. One of my aunts told her daughter a story, becasue she wanted to stop breatst feeding, but still wanted to give her her breat milk, so she started pumping and told her daughter that there was no milk anymore, but that she would ask an angel to go around the world and try to get milk for her. Well crazy as it sounds, but it did work, she had no option but to drink from a bottle and little by little she started drinking regular milk. Positive reinforcement may also help, for example rewarding your daughter if she drinks the milk from the sippi cup, or bottle, ect.
    ysmar2005

Answer by ysmar2005 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2008