Born in November when does she start school?

My daughter will be a year old in November, but all this back to school stuff got me thinking... would she start kindergarten at 4 about to turn 5, or 5 about to turn 6? Do I get to choose or does the school system make that decision for me, I would prefer 4 about to turn 5 if I have the option... i think

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 1:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She has to be five. I had to be five in order to register for kindergarden but because my birthday was like a day after the deadline to register I had to wait a whole year. Isn't that bullshit? lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Most school districts have a cut off date in Sept/Oct. If yours does, she will be 5 almost 6 when she starts.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my son was born in nov. he starts kindergarten this yr and is about to turn 6. you can start her in a pre k program though at 4
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It totally depends on where you live. Our school's cut off is December 1. My dd was born Dec 20, so she was 4 as of the cutoff. There are some that I know who have a cutoff of September 1, so you'll have to check into it.

On the flipside, my (almost) 2 year old's b-day is August 24 and I might wait until he is 6 to send him to school. It depends on how he is at the time. My MIL said she wished she sent her boys a year later cuz they just weren't quite ready and kind of struggled in school, and they both had summer b-days. But my son may be different and might be ready for kindergarten - so it really just depends on your child and how you feel at that time.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You need to call your school district. Our school district the cut-off date is in December. If the cut-off date is after your child's birthday, you will probably get to decide.

A lot of kids are actually 4 when they start kindergarten, and turn 5 during the school year. My son's birthday is October 24th, he started school at age 4. I wanted to keep him home, but he wanted to go to school like his brothers....I thought he might do kindergarten twice, but he did great in school.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Call your local school district to see what their cut off date is. Each school district has a birthday cut off date. In our school district you have to be 5 by December 1st. My son's birthday is late December so he missed the date and we had to wait another year before he could go.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 1:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Every school district can be different so you'll have to check with them. Ours here is Dec 31, my Oct baby started when he was 4 turning 5. But he doesn't have to start then, if he's not ready he doesn't have to go until the next year when he's 5 turning 6. Also some school districts will allow kids to start early if they've been tested and are developmentally ready. I have a friend who is a teacher who held her Dec baby back a year so she started when she was 5 turning 6 (her b-day is Dec 30), and I have a friend who had her daughter tested to start early because she was/is very tall and big for her age - she didn't test ready so started when she should have rather than early.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• here they say they have to be 5 before September 1st if they are 5 after that then they start at 6 but you could ask if your child is advanced they might let them. The princpal at the school my DD is going to says she has a 4 year old in the kindergarden class
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Like all the other ladies said you need to call your local school and find out when the cutoffs are for age. My daughter was born Oct 18 but the cutoff is 5 on or before Aug 31 so she will have to wait until next year when she is going to be 5 turning 6 before she can start school.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010