Are you the big worrier type of mom who has hovered over you child from day one, or the more lax type who realizes that babies are way more resilient and durable than most moms think?

I have one son who just turned 2 and his father has a son who is 13. I did tons of research on babies and toddlers when I was pregnant even as a super unhappy mom-to-be (i am a Virgo and I feel the need to be prepared and perfect in everything I do). I have come across so many moms that literaly freek out whenever their 1-2 year old takes a fall, and it stresses me out just seeing how they react, I cannot imagine how the child feels. If your child is not bleeding or screaming in pain the first time this happens, why would any mother encourage spoiled behavior by babying them and or kissing the boo-boo to make it all better? Makes me want to puke!! My sons cousins mother could not believe when he tripped last one time last year and I did'nt even budge. He just got got up and went on his way! She said "oh, i guess it's because he's a boy". I said "well, I would not act any different if and when I have a daughter"!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let me child have freedom to learn
    jojomommy

Answer by jojomommy at 1:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I like to give my child the freedom to experience things but make sure she's safe at the same time, but I do not hover. That's exhausting and annoying for her.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• With my first I was a hoverer and my kid cried at everything and still at 11 is more sensitive than other kids. But I learned my lesson. My younger two are much heartier because I didn't hover. They seem to be overall more sure of themselves and willing to take risks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i was chill, babies and toddlers are tough. and in the example of tripping...my daughter would look at me for a reaction, id just say in a happy go lucky voice 'opps you fell down, youre ok' and shes 4 now and i cant recall a single time she cried bc she 'hurt' herself, shes never bled but has gotten bruses
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Same here @GinNTonic!! I am always watching but not hovering and I have never made a big deal of his falls when he first started walking and would get excited and start running and usually wind up falling and scraping his knees or something when he hit uneven ground. I never made a big deal of it, so he never has either! He has fallen and scraped his knees to the point they were dripping blood and he just gets up and starts running again, he's a resilient little guy! And I would definitely raise my daughter the exact same way! I cannot stand a whiny, spoiled little cry-baby!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• A little bit of both. When he was a baby of course I was really guarded about him, but now that he's getting older, I don't worry so much anymore.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Anytime my dd tripped or fell I would just say "Uh oh!" instead of freaking out. THen I'd wait to see if she's okay or if she starts crying and then I'd calmly ask if she was okay. Usually she was okay. Now whenever she falls, unless she really hurts herself, she doesn't freak out.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my first i did when number 2 came i was getting little better then 3 came along i start to easy up bit more by the time the 4 came a girl
    if her three brothers did get her how was she ever going to stand up for her self by this time number 5 a boy came along .i did not have to worry as much as the first child
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husband was deployed for the first 6months of my DDs life and he is very over bearing. Im trying to teach him that she NEEDS and HAS to do things on her own to learn and he just wants to do everything for her.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010