does being dehydrated lead to poor milk supply?

for the last week, it seems like my daughter isn' t getting much in her evening feedings. i haven't been drinking enough water and most nights have a really bad headache. could being a little dehydrated lead to poor milk supply? i'm also on the minipill (on my second week) and am paraniod that that's doing it...

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it can lead to poor milk supply
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Both dehydration and the minipill can do it though people will tell you its not the pill. Its not just water that counts ANY liquid is needed. Set aside the right amount of liquids for the day and goals for certain times of day of how much you will drink by the goals. I drink 30 oz by lunch and 30 oz by bed. Also the minipill dried me up in 24 hours with my oldest son, so watch your supply. Eat oatmeal twice a day rink those liquids, try Smartwater it has electrolytes so you can drink less and be hydrated, and nurse nurse nurse.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Sure can
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Absolutely!! You have to put liquid in to get liquid out!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes - try kellymom.com for some great suggestions on that. Increase your water and eat oats (oatmeal and oatmeal cookies) works great! It may take a day or 2 to see a difference but you will. Be sure you are getting enough rest too! How old is your little one? They could be going through a growth spurt as well. Mine are always fussy eaters during a growth spurt.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes, you have to basically always have a water bottle in hand! I noticed that my milk supply decreased when I started the mini-pill also. I spoke to my doctor about it, and he said that the mini-pill will not affect your milk supply, but I think he was wrong. It was too big of a coincidence. I've also heard other moms say that they noticed the same thing. Try drinking more & if you still feel that you're not making enough, try Fenugreek supplements. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Oh, yes. Can't make milk without building materials, and milk is 88% water.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008