Autism and Step Parents in the Home

Is there anyone out there that has a teen with autism and a step parent in the home? Do you feel they are not as optimistic? What about other parents period that are not optimistic about your teen? Our relationship is teetering anyway but when I heard him talk to one of my son's case workers about how he was not so optimistic about my son's future (going to college etc.), I was very bothered by that. I was worried the most about seperating them, but now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• A lot of people see autism as this huge disability. They don't realize that autistic people can hold down jobs, go to college, and live their lives. It all depends on the severity of the disorder.

Talk to him. Tell him how his words make you feel. Let him know that you still hold hope for you child and that you think he'll do just fine (if that's how you feel).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2008