Vacation with a 1 year old ~ take a cruise or stay in a hotel in hawaii?

My husband wants me to put together a trip for our anniversary using his travel points for airfare, while our son is still young enough to travel for free. I think a cruise would be the easiest with a 1 year old, but my in-laws told my husband to go for Hawaii as it is "way more fun" than a cruise. My husband has sleep issues and on most of our trips together I have ended up bored and frustrated because he has slept in until dinner time. I have never been on a cruise, and all I know about Hawaii I learned from Magnum PI! Hellllp! Thank you in advance for any advice or information. :)

Eliza341

Asked by Eliza341 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have been on exactly one cruise and candidly, it wasn't my cup of tea. Staterooms are usually TINY so if your DH is sleeping, or baby naps, you are stuck in a small space with nothing to do. Food can be awesome, but for me personally I liked the freedom of going where I wanted, when I wanted, choosing what to eat and when, enjoying my hotel/resort space rather than feeling like I had to be 'out on the town' all the time. Also consider if a cruise goes somewhere international you'd need to have a passport, etc for your little one (not a bad idea anyway but one more hoop to jump thru).

A good resort in Hawaii would have some kind of childcare available or ask on a HAwaii Moms board here on CM. So my vote is Hawaii. I have been to Honolulu (interesting, but basically a hotter NYC) and the Big Island (Waikoloa/Kona, west coast) which was very family friendly, relaxing, mellow - I *loved* it.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 3:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't know about you, but taking a one year old on a vacation of any kind, just doesn't sound much like a vacation to me. Sounds like a lot of work.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I just went on a cruise with my one year old Dd, and I have to say, it was not relaxing at all! We did a Medd. cruise, so we were seeing Rome and a whole bunch of places, but still, even if we had stopped a beach every single day that we were on it, it still would have been more relaxing to be in a hotel room and get to choose when we went to the beach (the boat docks and you have to be on and off at certain times). It was a lot of fun, but it wasn't relaxing like a vacation should be.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh, and they only had childcare on the cruise if your LO was 3 or older.. so no childcare there!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• They have child care on a cruise...just sayin
    ZombieHousewife

Answer by ZombieHousewife at 2:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wouldnt take my 1 year old on a cruise. I have been on 7 or 8 and went on one when my oldest son was 7. He loved it. Cruise daycare is made for those 3 or older that are potty trained. They do have baby sitting at night for younger kids on some cruise lines. But there isnt anything really for a 1 year old to do on the ship. Where as at a hotel in Hawaii there are tons of things to do with your baby....... Traveling with a 1 year old is tough enough as it is. And as a prior poster said its alot of work. I couldnt imagine being on a cruise ship with one.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• if you go on a cruise, watch the weather...we went on one, and were miserable....they wouldn't reschedule the cruise,..we were right behind a hurricane so the waters were rocky, and we couldn't do ports of call but for one day, since the towns were destroyed...and when we did get off, the minute we got back on, everyone was sick.....i'd be freaked out to take my dd on a cruise,..and there's not much (at least with our cruise) to do as far as family oriented, unless you stay in a pool all day, and it was all the same thing day after day. i'd go to hawaii, there's probably so much more to do there.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I've been on a couple of cruises and really enjoyed them. That said, I couldn't imagine bringing a 1 year old. I don't think I'm ready to even take my 4 year old yet. I don't think any vacation with a 1 year old is relaxing in the way that a get-away with just two adults can be, but if you go into it, without those kind of expectations vacations with kids can be fun.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Stay in a hotel in hawaii. You might be a little limited on things to do with a 1yr old on a cruise even thought it stop at different places.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010