would you apologize?

Ok so DH and I were on vacation in San Francisco and I really wanted to stop by and see the Castro district. I wanted to get a picture in front of the Castro Theatre and see where Harvey Milks camera shop was. I am a huge supporter of gay rights and I all I wanted was to stop by for like 20 mins and walk around. It was me dh dd and dh’s WHOLE family. So his aunt took ME because no one else would get out of the car and I got to walk around for a few minutes and look around. It was awesome. It was such a cute little quirky neighborhood. So the rest of the day his whole family was making fun of the fact that I wanted to go there. making little remarks about “that” area and “those people” and I was getting really pissed and finally his mother said “honey I just don’t understand why you would want to go there unless you are gay”

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 3:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• and I responded with “I don’t know Mary, why did you want to spend 3 hours walking around China town you are not Chinese,” MIL was really pissed she went in the other room and started CRYING (because she is f-ing crazy and over emotional.) DH says I need to apologize to her and I am really pissed because she is the one that was making fun of me and making really terrible homophobic comments all day (which he KNOWS offends me) why should I apologize to her???? DH is such a mommas boy and it is starting to really piss me off what do you all think??
    momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 3:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no i wouldn't. Maybe she realizes how dumb her remark was
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no.. i would not apologize.. i also have a low tolerance to bigotry, and wouldn't have put up with it..
    Hearts_n_Stars

Answer by Hearts_n_Stars at 3:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't apologize, screw her if she's going to be like that.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sister do not apologize to her she has two choices one to get over it and two to get over it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, you shouldn't have to apologize. What your comment did was show her how utterly ridiculous what she said truly was. I wouldn't support my mother's asinine homophobic behavior nor he stupid over dramatic behavior so neither should you :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• nope, she can eat shit cause she wouldnt be getting an "im sorry" from me. she needs to stop and get over herself. lol

AND, thank you so much for your support. you are awesome! i am gay, and i would love to go see castro. good on you for going there and seeing the sites and standing up for us!! you go momma!!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes you should.... you would be the better person if you did. You cannot force someone else to change their ways but you can change yours. You did not need to say those things to her at all. So she made remarks. Saying it back didn't help did it? It made things worse.
    I think it's great you went there but they are the ones with the problem not you. However bending down to their level did you no good. I'd honor your husband and apologize to his mother. You never know what will come out of it! She may apologize to you too!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think maybe you shouldve brushed it off like it was no big deal when she asked why u wanted to go to that part. Some people dont understand, but if she wasnt really attacking you, I dont think I would have said a snooty remark back just because I was irritated. Especially to my MIL. My ex MIL irritated me so bad, but she never disrespected me. So I always showed her respect like I show my own mother even if she was making fun of the fact I wanted to go in gay parts.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Btw I think your remark back to your MIL was kinda funny lol, but I prob wouldnt have said it. Maybe try talking to her and who knows, she might be the one to apologize first
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010