how do u try and het a 3month old on schedule?

christina10140

Asked by christina10140 at 3:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi, I think I can help. Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? First of all you have to be consistent, its alot harder when you breastfeed because the baby is fed on demand formula is a little better in that aspect but of course BF is better for the baby. Heres what I did with my daughter, when you wake up get them dressed and fed first off-so they know what to expect when they wake up babies like consistency and predictability it makes them more secure which equals less crying. Feed on demand of course but when it gets to lunch time or when you want them to take a nap feed them in a quiet place with dimmed light and put them down to sleep right after. Let them nap. Now when you get to night time do the same thing..fed them, let them wind down a little, a warm bath can help significantly, put them in a dark room with music and let them sleep. If they cry check on them but continue to try to put them to sleep.
    Okigurl

Answer by Okigurl at 4:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you may have to check on them several times, try not to pick them up but just comfort them the best you can. I know its hard to hear them cry but eventually he/she will understand the routine and settle down. My daughter could just be put into her crib and go to sleep on cue it just takes consistency. Good luck, parenting is an adventure LOL
    Okigurl

Answer by Okigurl at 4:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Okigurl has given you some great advice. I have four LOs and that is basically what I did with them. They are great sleepers!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters. I followed the same kind of thing with all 5 of mine - they are all great sleepers and good kids (my youngest is 3 weeks, so not sleeping through the night yet but she is sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night) and I breastfed all of them. I will say that feeding on demand doesn't mean that everytime baby cries you feed them, sometimes babies cry for other reasons.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Great advice here. I just wanted to add that our boys easily worked themselves into a definite schedule of awake time and naps. They gave very obvious clues they were tired......yawning, getting fussy, etc.........and it was easy to see that they consistently were tired at the same intervals. It was 1.5 to 2 hours for the longest time. We did the same nap time routine every time......diaper change, lowering shades, music, rocking/cuddling, and putting to bed. Consistency is the key. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I used the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. That really helped me figure out how to get my baby on a good schedule. I waited until he was 4 months though, starting earlier might be better. It really stresses how the baby should have a wake up time that is always the same every day, like I make sure I wake him up by 7am every morning and I put him to bed at the same time every night. Consistency is really important. The book stresses 2-3 naps a day for 4 months of age. Find a pattern when the baby gets sleepy and try to encourage naps around that time. It will usually fall around 9am for morning nap, 1 pm for afternoon nap, and 5 pm for the 3rd nap. The book was a little tough to read, but I do think it was really helpful with this kind of info.
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wanted to tell you not to get frustrated if a schedule doesn't work for you or it works one week but doesn't the next. Growth spurts, teething, and major milestones all can affect patterns of sleep and moods. Also, if you are the type that tends to go on errands spontaneously or likes to get out and do things without a plan or is not normally a person of pattern, a schedule of set times for naps and other routines is not likely to work for you, because in that case you'd want your baby to be willing to sleep anywhere, anytime when tired and not exactly at 1pm every day and not with a specific order or monotonous pattern.

I just want to add that to the mix. A schedule would never work in our house or with all our personalities. It's not that we don't have our personal "patterns"...we do...but they were formed naturally and we are all kind of in symbiosis and are not thrown off by sudeen changes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Keep in mind that babies don't know how to read schedules...and three months is too early for CIO.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010