Elderly dog having seizures....

Does anyone else have an elderly dog that is having seizures? We've taken her to the vet for them and she is on a thyroid pill. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what was your experience? Thanks!

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 4:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I do not own the dog. He belongs to the family I do childcare for. They have told me to just be with him if he has a seizure. Watch him and call them if it is too long or severe. He has had two while I was there and they were mild. He threw up after one of them. He is on medication for them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never had a dog like that but my DH and I found one once. We were delievering newpapers around 1 Am and saw an overweight sheltie walking around in circles in the middle of the road. We didn't see anyone around or any lights on in any of the houses so we took him home for the night and planned on trying to find the owners. We woke up to him having a seizure(which was very scary) And afterwords he was walking around all disorientated in circles like he was when we found him. So we called animal control and they had us take him to a vet and the vet found the owners. We called the vet the next week to see what happened and I guess the owners decided to put him to sleep.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• On a thyroid pill for seizures? That does not sound right to me. Some times the seizures can be controlled by medication. If you animal is truly seizing, he needs to be seen and put on an anti-seizure medication.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The thyroid issue was discovered after the first seizures and he said it could cause them. We take both dogs to the vet on a regular basis. She has medication, but it is only to be given to her right after she has a seizure to prevent another one (I guess it lowers the chance of her having another one right away). And yes, they are full blown...... it looks as if she is running in place on her side.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She has also been to the vet for this issue. Just asking what other people have experienced.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010