How would you feel about year round school?

I have always felt that the summer break for american kids is far far too long, specially for younger kids. our children lose a lot of information during such a long break. yes some few parents keep up the education process during the summer , but most dont. I think kids would benefit from year round schooling with some added in 2 weeks breaks rather than 2-3 months off .

sati769leigh

Asked by sati769leigh at 6:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in

• I think it's a good idea. I think the multiple shorter breaks would keep students (and parents) from getting burned out on schoolwork and homework. It would also be nice to be able to take vacations at other times of the year.

I grew up on a farm, and I would have loved year-round school. I didn't live near any other children, so summer was too long for me and I was always ready for school to start.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh and I can see how farmer's and what not would not like it so it might not be something that is good in all places. My friends were not in a farming type community.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would hate it. Personally I love long summer breaks. And around here it wouldn't go over well since there are a lot of farmers that want their older kids to help out on the farm. They've tried to have it here and it was voted down because of that.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think it should stay the way it is.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My kids went to a "year round school" and it wasnt too bad. They got 2 weeks off every grading period and for summer they got off 8 weeks intstead of the 12. Now that we moved out of that school system I kind of miss it.
    mommasbois

Answer by mommasbois at 6:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think my kids would love it. We could have vacations when iti's nice out instead of a heat wave. That right there would make it worth it.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 6:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We homeschool but follow a year round schedule. We really enjoy it. And it really cuts down on the amount of review we have to do at the beginning of each school year.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would love year round school. My kids are special needs so it would help them out a lot!!! And then I could work my normal hours.
    jax3

Answer by jax3 at 7:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have friends that grew up with it and they got 3 week breaks between semesters an extra week at Christmas and 6 weeks in the summer. After the initial change it went over really well with the parents and kids. Their standardized test scores went up etc. I think it is a good idea and personally I plan to homeschool in the summer (my oldest is just starting K this year). I currently homeschool preschool all year long and plan to continue teaching my children in the summer when they start school.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• "Summer Break" is the way it is, because there was a time that the kids needed the summer off to help out on the farm! Now, it's not like that. We homeschool and do a quasi-year round schooling. I have them do writing, reading, and some math over the summer. We also do fun science projects and participate in fun science experiments/labs and art classes over the summer. Something more laid back and "fun" compare to the rest of the school year. Personally, I wouldn't care. Most all year round schools work with several breaks through out the school year followed by a shorter summer break.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010