been bothering me

I have a 16 yr old nephew who put a pic of the grandkids his cousins on his facebook family album. One of his friends asked are those your cousins? He replies the three on the right are, the little girl in front is my baby sister, and the boys on the left are not my family they are f*gs and I hate them! We don't see him often we live about 200 miles apart so there is no reason for this hostility. I am so upset at him and my sister. It was completly uncalled for. My question is do I confront him, his mom, or should I just let it go? Thanks for your time ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, that's a tough one. I am assuming the comment is on Facebook, not something you heard? Either way I have a close enough relationship with my siblings that I would ask if they knew the comment was there and talk it over with them. I'd want to know what problems there might be that I am not aware of. I would hope they would have the comment removed. That's just me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Why are you upset w/ his mom? Are you sure she even knows what he said? I'm assuming this is on FB so I'd say something. If everybody can see it then its a pretty bold statement. Are you going to see him in person anytime soon? If so wait & talk to him in person yourself. If not I'd have a conversation w/ his mom 1st, then w/ him. Ask him why he would say something like that. Listen to what, if anything, he has to say. Explain to him how hurtful this was to you & ask him how he'd feel if someone had posted something like that about him. Ask him to take it down. Time for him to learn how to edit himself, just bc you feel a certain way doesn't mean its appropriate to post it for the whole world to see, yet another example of oversharing!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would comment on the photo & say something smart like "it takes on to know one now doesn't it" OR "funny, they thought you were the fag" OR you can say something a little less sarcastic like "wow, how disrespectful & judgemental of you to call them such rude names"

He needs to be caled out on it. He needs to learn the hard way that people can get hurt through facebook. What a disrespetful little brat.....I would SLAM him if i were you. I would talk to the parents & everything. I would MAKE sure he knows what he did was wrong, rude & hurtful....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would definitely bring it up to his mother. Hes probably being a smarta$$ and trying to be "cool" by being nasty. We all know how much teenagers love to get a rise out of people. His mother probably doesnt know that this comment was made, and Im sure she would be just as appalled as you.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010