How to get kids on a bed time schedual?

My kids are starting schhol in about 2 weeks and are backwards. By this i mean they stay up all night until about 2pm and then fall asleep and sleep until 1am. After this they are wide awake and hungry. i stay up with them because I am watching them and dont want them to get hurt or anything. Since my "clock" is also backwards I cant seeem to get them on the right track because as soon as they fall asleep I do to. My SO is fed up because he never spends time with us anymore. School is right around te corner and I need help fast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in

• set an alarm for 8am, then when you didnt go to bed until 1am, and then wake up at 8, your all going to be tired, and that night will easily go to bed at a more reasonable hour. go from setting the clock at 8am, to 7am, to whatever time you normally have to get up to get the kiddos ready for school. My son has always had a bedtime of 8pm, but he is only 3
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You don't mention their ages, so my thoughts are that you need to have a discussion with them and talk about school......what the routine will be and what will be expected of them. Have they been to school before? If so, they know how they had to get up early for school in the past. Tell them they need to start transitioning to a better bedtime. Decide what that hour will be and stick to it. They have to be in their bedrooms at that time. Have a bedtime routine....brushing teeth, reading, etc. You need to make this happen regardless of their ages. It will be tough the first few nights. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Umm... I never let me son stay up that late. Even during the summer it is ridiculous to sleep the day away. He goes to bed around ten during the summer and is up by 7, during the school year I get him to bed around 8:30 and he sleeps til 7 usually. I just tell him to go to bed and he does, there is not really any battle of wills here.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We keep a consistent bedtime year round, extended only by 1 hour in the summer.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well it depends on how old they are...but no matter what kids shouldnt be staying up that late! kids need a good nights rest to be able to function....if they are in middle school id say around 9 make them go to bed....your are the parent! or if they are in highschool id say prob bout 10 would be a good bed time...but no matter what like i said you are the parent...make them listen so that when you say its bed time its bed time!
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• bedtime routine is the only way to do it. Whether it's bath, teeth, story or something else. The same thing at the same time every day. When it's time for bed, lights out, even if the whole house has to go dark. They will get the idea.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Quick fix that worked when we moved to another country as kids.....my dad let us stay up all night/sleep all day for a couple of days, then let us stay up all night on the third night....the whole next day was spent unpacking and working on the new house. In your instance, pack the kids up and go to a park/hiking/something physical and do not return until it's bedtime. Guarantee they will be tired and cranky, but they will also sleep that night...as will you. Pack a cooler with food, so you don't have to worry about spending money on eating out.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 4:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• rolling on floor

Hope, pray, beg, plead 

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Start now, putting them to bed when you want them to go and getting them up early enough to get ready for school. You need to adjust your internal clock too, and it's going to take some time. START NOW!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010