WWYD

If your insurance would cover the lap band procedure if you weighed 300 lbs. but not a pound less. I weigh 275 and in poor health yes a lot has to do with my weight but not all. Would you try to gain the extra to improve yourself in the long run or would you feel you were frauding the system some way? Please don't bash me i'm just asking wywd if you were in the same situation. Thank you ladies for your time.

zadesmom1998

Asked by zadesmom1998 at 7:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Health

• I really think I'd try to loose first, there is ALWAYS a risk with surgery. Loosing the weight is less risky, and look how proud you'd be of yourself, besides looking like a million dollars.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How about you try to lose and avoid an unnecessary major surgery that could worsen your condition or kill you in the process. Instead of looking for quick fixes, change your attitude to a positive one. Meditation & positive thinking can improve your health.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I prob would not gain an extra 25 lbs just to get the lapband. even though it would be pretty easy to gain 25lbs (for me) I wouldnt do it personally. There are other things you can do, surgery isnt always the answer. See your doctor and a nutritionalist and they can get you on a diet especially for you, and hire a personal trainer, even if you only see the trainer once a week
    Good luck
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• While I don't agree that the surgery is a quick fix. I also don't think that you should gain weight to have it covered. Will the surgeon work out a payment plan or will your insurance cover part of it. A lot of Dr's will give discounts to self pay patients if you ask.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Totally agree with motherofhope...Any surgery is dangerous and why risk it? You can start a healthy lifestyle and loose the weight the good old fashioned way....I would not even think of gaining the extra weight to have the surgery.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 7:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• This surgery is a major surgery hun, I think you may be looking at what's EASY. Why not challenge your self to lose 25lbs instead of gain? How about a 20min walk every morning to kick things off?

If you have discipline enough I can PM my moms diet plan to you, her and many of her friends lost 30 in 3 weeks.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If not all of your problems are due to your weight, then I would definitely not gain the extra weight! It could put you in even more risk. I would instead join a walking group and consult with a dietitian to improve your weight, and maybe even your health. There are a lot of health problems associated with unhealthy eating, it might not be your weight causing the problems, but it could be what you're eating.

Not all poeople know how to fix a weight problem. It's really not very hard. Start by controlling your portions of food you're eating. Try to eat more veggies (fill half your plate with veggies and eat as many as you want of them). Eat frequently throughtout the day. People think that by skipping meals they'll lose weight and that's just not true. You NEED to be eating breakfast and try to eat six times a day a few hundred calories (like 2-3) each time. That way you're eating less calories, but not starving yourself.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IMO it depends on what you would do after. Are you ready to make the life style changes necessary not to gain weight back after the surgery? If you are truely ready for a life style change then weigh the pros & cons of each. How would having the surgery help? How would it hurt? How would not having the surgery help? How would it hurt? Do you plan to work out after you lose weight? Can you start now? If you decide surgery is the best option FOR YOU then I say go for it, why pay for it out of your own pocket? If you decide surgery isn't the best option FOR YOU then exercise & diet is gonna be key. Make lifestyle changes not just look for the quick, easy fix.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Also, get checked by a doctor. Do you have thyroid issues? If so, you need to be put on medicine for that. But that is by no means a reason to give up on your weight. Watch what you're eating. I would say to keep unhealthy desserts out of your diet except for once a week. If you feel you need desert, make it something healthy like fruit.

Good luck to you and if you need any help coming up with a weight loss plan or mental support through this battle, feel free to add me and I'll try to keep you motivated. Please do not give up on yourself!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I was in a severe car accident two years ago and I am now permantly disabled. Just running the sweeper will make my bad leg swell up to three times it's normal size. I have been eating better and have lost 12 lbs in three weeks. I am trying. What I was thinking if I got it done I would improve my weight related health problems. Even go back to school. I don't want to be on disibility for the rest of my life. Thanks again ladies.
    zadesmom1998

Comment by zadesmom1998 (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2010