How do I get my 21 mo old to try new foods and vegetables?

My son does not like to try new foods. If it doesn't look like he wants it he won't even open his mouth. If he does open his mouth and doesn't like it, he spits it out.

iluvmybabiboi

Asked by iluvmybabiboi at 9:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Food & Drink

• you could try not giving him any and telling him it is sooooo good but it is for big people he will prob ask for it then and you can give it to him.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My SIL did something that once amazed me. My (at the time) 2 yr old stepbanby wouldn't even TRY a kernal of corn. What kid doesn't love corn, right?

She looked right at him and said, "Touch it."
    And he did.
    Then she said, "Taste it."
    And he did.
    I was amazed!!

I have no clue how it worked, but it's worth trying, right?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Don't worry about it too much right now. Kids at this age are notoriously finicky. Just make sure you are offering only nutritious foods, and let him pick which ones he'll eat. Re-introduce the ones he refuses in a few months.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• The only way is to keep trying, we have a rule in our house that you have to try it at least once, my kids aren't picky eaters thank god but my friend's kids are and her kids were spending the night at our house and I asked her son if he liked carrots (her kids don't like most vegetables) and he said yes so I made some with dinner, I noticed that he wasn't eating them and asked him why, he said he liked cold carrots. I told him fine, by the time you eat the rest of your dinner they will be cold and you can eat them, it worked.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008