Has Anyone Ever Left or Almost FORGOTTEN Their BABY in The CAR?

I have never done this myself, but as I watch the Today show and see how easily it can be done, I just wonderered if it has happened to anyone? One lady that her son died said she just got too sure of herself and her routine and forgot and went straight to work, and people still talk bad about her. Do you sympathize with her or find fault with her, how do you stand? A man said he has finally made a devise to use for safety bec. the Gov. has not approved the ones auto makers have had for the past 10 yrs for car. It is a very small pad put under the seat of the baby's butt, and an alarm goes off when you walk away from the car, not too far. They did a sample on the show and it worked, I really hope this is an answer to a very sad situation.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow. I feel sorry for them. I can't imagine the grief and guilt they feel. BUT I agree that it doesn't make sense. I can't understand how someone could forget their child. I imagine it happens a lot more than we realize. We're just hearing about it now b/c of the heat.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Uhhh nope! I've seen the show you're talking about & still don't understand how someone can "forget" their kid. She's the most important one in my life, how do you "forget" about that?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I do find fault with parents that do this. Although I have sympathy for the outcome, I don't understand how you get comfortable with a routine that does not include your child. Your child should be part of the routine. I don't get it.

I did lock my son in the car once but it wasn't because I forgot him. My diaper bag was still in the car. In the bag were my keys and the door got shut on accident. The cops come and got him out. Luckly it wasn't too hot or too cold or I would have broke the window to get to him.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Never done it and yes, I find fault with parents that do that.

I took my kids to a craft store one day (on a 20 degree day) and parked right beside a car that had a baby in the backseat.....and no one else. I stood there for a couple of minutes wondering what I should do and when no one came to the car I called the police. About 10 minutes later they arrived, got the car open and took out the child then went searching for the mother. One of the officers came out of the store with her......she was charged with neglecting her child (I even had to go to court). The police officer told me that she had a cart full of stuff and she told him that her baby was sleeping so she thought it would be best to let her in the car. When they watched the survelliance cameras to see when she entered the store it was about 45 minutes before!

I just don't understand that way of thinking!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I locked my baby in the car :( I feel so bad about it, she was only locked in it for less than two minutes, but it really upset me! I had put the keys in my purse already and popped the trunk and then pushed the key to unlock the doors (cuz they automatically lock) and then I shut my door. In my haste, I had pushed the lock button instead of the unlock. She didn't even cry, but I got a guy to crawl through the trunk and unlock the door, he was like a snake! I will never do that again... I keep all doors open until Dd is out of the car!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yeah, but I didn't forget her... have no clue how people forget their kids!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I couldn't forget my child ..just wouldn't happen.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IMO there's a BIG difference between forgetting your child & accidently locking them in the car. Locking them in the car doesn't make you a bad mom, it makes you forgetful, usually once! Locking your car w/ your kid inside & walking away bc you "forgot" they were in the backseat... I find fault.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, I haven't. I just don't see how it's possible.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OH MY STARS! THAT IS TERRIBLE. she wasn't being forgetful, she left her in there on purpose. Who knows how long she would of been in there if the police wouldn't have come to get her! : (
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 8:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010