Question about elementary school

In your kids schools do they have snack times in additon to lunch time during the day? Do kids get snacks in the classroom or at recess / break?

I ask because my kids are always hungry. They want to eat non-stop and I'm wondering how on earth they would handle school.

When I went to school the only time we ate was lunch time. School was from 9 am to 3 pm. Food wasn't allowed in the classroom. Has that changed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in

• My youngest DDs (1st grd this year) class has snack twice a day...which is great, she would eat all day long too and still be hungry :)

My oldest DDs (4th grd this year) classes don't have snacks...

I guess it depends on the age, they know the younger kids need a snack to keep them happy.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Only time my kids eat is ate lunch time. I just make sure they eat enough at breakfast and have a snack ready when they come home. Don't worry, they will adjust just fine.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• *is at*
    Christine0813

• It really depends on the school and you can ask that when you take your daughter to school to meet the teacher. She will adjust and be fine.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• At our school it depended on the teacher grade and time they had lunch some did some didnt
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• In my daughters school they have snack break from kindergarten to sixth grade.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The lower elementary gets snack time. The teachers usually want you to send healthy snacks. Sometimes they take turns for snacks with the whole class and sometimes it's individual.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My kids school has snack time and the parents take turns sending in a snack for the whole class.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes we do have snack time at all of our elementary schools. Some schools the parents have to bring the snacks for the whole class & for the past 2 yrs we have gotten grants to provide 3 schools in our district snacks for the whole school 4 free At the school I am at which is the poorest in my town I don't do snack yet as my kitchen will be getting remodeled so that I can serve my children in a better environment.I can also tell you that we have a ton of food & lots of fresh stuff going through our kitchen everyday. So the kids shouldn't be hungry they just want the junk food is all they don't want to eat the good stuff.
    As far as kids always being hungry I see that more &more that they want to eat non stop then the parents will blame the school for kids being obese. The kids at my daughters daycare want to eat nonstop. Well, all my grandkids want to eat and drink non stop. It is just how we as parents have programed our kids
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• All my kids can have healthy snacks. The high school only sells water and healthy snacks in it's vending machines. Same in the middle school. As for the elementary school, some kids get 2 snacks a day - depending on their lunch time. All snacks have to be low in sugar or sugar free. You're supposed to send healthy snacks from home as well. (They tend to get grumpy if you don't.) All the kids are allowed to have water bottles on their desks.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2010