We need a new carseat already, any suggestions?!

Our son was born big (10lbs 7oz) and the carseat that we have only goes up to 22 lbs and 29 inches. Well he is now 5 months old and at his 4 months appointment he weighed almost 19lbs and was 27 inches so needless to say we are going to need a new carseat. Can anyone suggest one that is a resonable price but will last him so we don't have to be buying a third one!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 9:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, i have been told by my mommy friends that Britax is a wonderful brand of convertable carseat. I have looked at them at babies r us and they seem to accomadate a larger child at the max weight (65lbs instead the normal 50lbs). They start rear facing and can then be turned around at the appropriate age/weight. They can also recline for the younger babies to allow for sleeping (which is nice if you are a traveler). The only draw back is that the ones I have seen have been somewhat pricey ($200+), but feel that you also get what you pay for. Good luck and happy shopping!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm purchasing an Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX. It runs around $130, and seems to be great quality. I have heard nothing but good things. The weight limit only goes to 50 pounds, but realistically, by the time your child is that big, it'll more than likely be time for a booster seat anyway. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3932620 This is the link to the carseat I just purchased. I have the same issue that you have. My son is 4 months and is 20lbs and 29 inches. This carseat should last until the child no longer needs one. I like it so far and it also got excellent customer reviews. The only thing is, you have to get it online because they don't sell it in stores. It's $130. Good luck to you.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't know a brand... but anything convertiable would be the way to go. It's for young baby's like your son and can be rear facing until they are ready to be turned. And then should fit your toddler for a long time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Britax is a good brand but the lowest harness slots are tall. So most babies don't fit into a Britax well until they are older. If you do want a Britax I suggest trying you baby out in it to see if he fits before you buy. I reccommend the first years TruFit, or the Cosco Scnerea. The trufit (I don't remember the rf weight limit I think it is 30 or 35lbs)has a removable headrest for infants and is very comfy and the Scnerea(rf to 35lbs) is only $50 at Wal*Mart and fits infants well. My 3month old fits great in this seat and he is 15lbs. If you have a babies r us near you, you can take the car seat out of the store, try it out in your car with your child in it.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 12:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i paid $250 for my sunshine kids radian80. it's made of steel alloy, foldable, compact, but kinda heavy. it keeps the child rear facing (very important) til 33lbs. then forward facing but still in a 5pt harness (also very important) til 80lbs or 4ft 3in. i looked at the average heights for kids & at 4'3', they could be from 7-11yrs. so it's worth the buy to keep him in a 5pt harness for that long. after that, you just have to buy a booster til he's 4ft 9in (regular seats & just belts aren't safe til that height is met).
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Britax or sunshine radian seats are the best for your money!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008