If your out to eat and your check came to $40.00, how much would you tip for average to good service?

How much would you also leave service that was really good but there were problems with your food order (either too long, or cold or not cooked right). And how much would you leave for great service?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, the food quality isn't the server's fault. I would speak to a manager about that. I always tip 20% unless the service is bad. This is probably because if you've ever waited tables, you know that the next a-hole will probably not tip at all.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $8 unless the service was lacking. If the food was poor I'd probably talk to the manager, but then, usually I just don't go back there.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $6 to $8, (15-20%) and if it's a special occasion for me, $10. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• About $8.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I leave 20% for good, great or average. So $8. If the service was bad I'd leave 15% (because that's the min I can bring myself to leave). If there was something wrong with the food, I'd let the manager know.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $8
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• cont... to the table and I handed the check, paid to the penny to the server, handed the other server a fifty percent tip from what our bill totaled and told the manager that he needed to train his servers to pay attention to all their guests, not just where they thought they were going to get a better tip because you never know who is going to appreciate you "running your butt off". That server was fo pissed off.... I very nicely told her that maybe she needs a lesson from her co worker....

Hubby and I have both spent many years in the food industry. If someone is working at a server, a tip is not something to just expect... it has to be earned with at least a pleasant attitude.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Around $8 unless there was some sort of service issue.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If the service is amazing we leave a fifty percent tip, for adequate service, twenty percent and horrid service, one percent. There have been times when my husband and I have taken our four children to dinner and the server looked at us and you could tell by the look on her face she was thinking... not another family with kids, they don't tip.... she proceeded to ignore our needs and cater to a table of young intoxicated guys. There was a server from the other side of the restaraunt that knew hubby and I because she had worked with hubby before, anyhow, she made sure that we got our food while it was hot, that the drinks were full...etc. Well, the guys left while we were still there and our server was complaining that they only tipped a couple bucks on a bill over a hundred bucks, yet she was "running her butt off". Time came for us to get our check and we asked to see the manager, her and the other server... they all came to.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We usually do the 15-20%. If it is very bad service, then dh usually doesn't want to leave a tip at all. I still, despite the crappy service, will want to leave something. lol But we have had service so bad before that we have left nothing.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2010