Are you ready for the largest tax hike in history?

http://www.jct.gov/publications.html?func=startdown&id=3646

This will further damage the economy. Itemized deductions and
personal exemptions will again phase out, which has the same mathematical
effect as higher marginal tax rates.
Higher taxes on marriage and family
Higher tax rates on savers and investors.
There are over twenty new or higher taxes in Obamacare
www.atr.org/obamacare-taxes-final-tab-a4744
The "Medicine Cabinet Tax"
The "Special Needs Kids Tax"
This provision of Obamacare imposes a cap on
flexible spending accounts (FSAs) of $2500 (Currently, there is no federal
government limit). There is one group of FSA owners for whom this new cap
will be particularly cruel and onerous: parents of special needs children
And many more to come.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh, Carpy, didn't you hear? This is just "misinformation" spread by the republicans and the Tea Party. There aren't going to be any taxes on the lower and middle class. They are just on the wealthy. (I guess the new definition of wealth is if you pay 10% in taxes.)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I will gladly pay more taxes. That's how this Country is run. Damn people want everythign for nothing...

***

NO!!!  The only peoplw who want everything for nothing are the ones who DON'T pay any income taxes (after getting it all back)!!!  The people who are pissed are the ones who are already taxed up the wazoo!! 

Unfortuately, all this means for us personally, is we'll end up donating less to charities next year.  I'm all for supporting those in need, but i will not stop providing for or take from my OWN family before I provide/give to someone else's!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm scared. I am.

and I wonder how we actually consider letting them take more of our money before they reign in their own spending.

Dude, you don't get bottled water on my tax dime, and free booze, and catered lunches. And they don't get to raise our taxes until they can prove they need it. All the deficit says to me is that Congress needs to cut back, not that my kids should get less milk next week.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Never ready to pay more taxes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Actually, the biggest tax hike in American history (during peace time--so we can attribute quite a bit to the 3 wars currently being fought--all three started during the previous administration, but that is all Obama's fault--we know) was in 1982 under Reagan. Nasty little thing, those facts.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I also heard something about the Child Tax Credit being removed. We are low-income because I am in school and not working (DH has a job), and this credit has helped us to repay the debt we incur through the year. What happened to his promise that lower income people would not see any increases in their taxes?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• So, you're STILL okay with this........

Yeah, I can "see" where the problem was BEFORE 2009!!!  SOME people just refuse to take off their blinders!!! *sigh*

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Psssht. More scare tactics. ONCE AGAIN, PROVE that the Bush tax cuts will be allowed to expire for those families making less than 250g. EVERY SINGLE THING I have read says that there is no support for this. The only real argument here is whether they are letting the 250g+ group retain the tax cuts. That is the only point of dispute.

Oh, and Lorikeet, I like how your budget pie graph breaks up military spending into a bunch of separate pieces. I find it odd that no one comments that educational spending is less than 2%, while military spending is 20%. That really struck me as wrong!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost us over a trillion dollars. Much more by some estimates. And there's more spending to come. http://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost_of_war_counter_notes

Now, do you think that TRILLION dollars didn't contribute to the fall of the economy or the debt?  Remember, this didn't stay in our country as an investment.  It was literally burned up in a war.  Are you going to deny that the war has any effect on the economy?

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IhartU ~ I will gladly pay more taxes. That's how this Country is run. Damn people want everythign for nothing...

I'd be happy with just 'something'. The government is supposed to fund a military and fill potholes (meaning fund the military and keep our infrastructure sound). It doesn't. It spends money on everything else and doles out pitiful amounts (particularly when you look at what it takes in and than spends on everything else) towards our military and our infrastructure.

Our roads are a mess. Our grid is shaky enough that a small storm cloud passing over makes it hiccup. City water is nasty and full of chemicals ~ with more added to quell the original ones. Our military members work for peanuts under conditions that the average American would sue over and with far from adequate health care (wait til you get gov't. health care).

Some one REALLY needs to pop Uncle Sam's hand and tell him 'NOT YOURS'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010