my daughter is 4 months and I am looking for daycare. What are some advice you guys can give me?

What should I be looking for in a daycare and what are some do's and don'ts in searching for one. When should you run the other way? Should I look for someone at home to keep her or daycare center will be fine? Please help!

Toya167

Asked by Toya167 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only you can decide whether in-home or facility care is best. There are pros and cons to both. Facility care is typically cheaper, but you can find affordable in-home care, especially if you hire another mom. I've done both, and can honestly say that you have to go with what works best for your family. If you have a flexible schedule, or work "off" hours, in home care may be the best. If you really need to make sure that you have childcare no matter what, facility care may be the best because there are no sick days for a facility.
    I wish you the best of luck, PM me if you have more specific quesitons!
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 5:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• well I used to work in a few local day cares... two centers and one group day care. I also had an in home day care... there are pros and cons to every one. I definatly would check out the day care at unexpected times. just show up before you choose the day care... especailly during lunch and nap. most day cares make the kids take a nap and eat... it's all scheduled times and they say they make exceptions for kids... but in 99% of cases, it's not true... take it from someone who used to work there. my children right now are being watched in our home... I know that a small group daycare that is state licenced is the way I would go if I needed full time care... check out my page and ask if you have more questions from someone who used to work there and isn't afraid to tell you the truth... =)
    angeldud

Answer by angeldud at 9:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• VISIT THE DAYCARE CENTER OR HOME A COUPLE OF TIMES AT DIFRENT TIMES BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR DECISION,AND MOST IMPORTANTLY,,,,ALWAYS POP UP AT THE CENTER OR HOME UN-ANONCED WHILE THE CHILD IS THERE(SORRY FOR MY SPELLING!)
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 12:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• my advice is to ask some of the kids who are old enough to talk and who go there if they like it. kids won't lie normally and their point of view will tell you a lot.,
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Intuition is one of the greatest senses given to us! If you talk to the daycare provider and something seems off then it probably is!! Show up at different times to check on things, ask lots and lots of questions, and pay attention to your child's attitude before during and after!! Best of luck to you!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2008