Would it be better to take my kids to school the first day or have them ride the bus?

I have a 10 year old & a 5 year old going to a new school. They are both pretty shy when they first meet new ppl. or go to new places. This will be the first time they will ride a bus to school, I think my 10 year old son will be fine, I am just so nervous my 5 year old (1st year going to school all day) will not know where to go. I just cant decide if it would be better for them to do it on their own or if I go & help them out for the first day. I have been getting mixed comments from my friends, so extra advice would be great! What I really want to do is go to school with them the 1st day & stay all day, LOL!

nettyg

Asked by nettyg at 9:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in

• I would take them.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would say the bus. They will be using it all year so you should start the routine right away. Then again I see why you would want to take them with the school being new and they being shy.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I take my daughter to the bus stop on the first day of school. We get a first day of school picture of her getting on the bus. I like establishing the routine right from the start.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Let them take the bus. I know in my town they have a special orientation day for kindergarteners (ususally the 2cd day of school) where parents can ride the bus with thir kids, meet the teacher, see the class, etc. his day is a shorter one than usual. With the older kids you can only drop them off outside. Parents aren't allowed to walk kids to class. (in fact pass the main lobby you need to sigh in at the office and get a badge, security reasons. With over 600 kids in the school it wouldn't work.)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My DD is 5.. she will be riding the bus.. but there is an open house the night before so we can all take the tour! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I usually drive me son, but on the first day I walk in with him to help carry all his supplies and stuff.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I always take my kids the first day.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would take them so I could get some commemorative photos (at least of the 5 yr old) for their scrapbook :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my DD is going to be starting kindergarden this year and although she does really good about meeting new people she is rarly shy I am taking her and picking her up the first day of school then after that she will be taking a bus. The reason is because one I never had one of my babys in school yet lol and because I want to see her reaction the first time. She has been asking me since she was 3 when she will start school lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would say take them, you'll feel better and so will they (even thought they won't tell you). Plus, you can get a layout of how the car riders are in the morning...so if you ever have to take them, you won't be scrambling
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 9:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010