It's amazing...

After dd was born I lost my job and am now working min. wage, dh also makes min wage. We have been trying to find new jobs, but in our area there is just nothing. I had an interview last week and the man told me that a position that usually has 3 or 4 applications, he is now getting over 100. But I've been looking around trying to see what we can do. How can I scrape up 30$ more of the cell phone bill, or for gas, how can I find an affordable baby sitter? And it dawned on me doing research that my life would actaully be EASIER if I quit my job. I could get child care, we make 1,000$ a YEAR too much for head start, (not like I would need it then though), foodstamps, TANF, rent assistance, insurance EVERYTHING! But for those of us who are working our asses off and stuck in the middle there is nothing but late notices and unpaid bills. And people wonder what is wrong with this country?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• DH and I recently came to this same realization. I agree with you. Amazing.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It takes a little while but you can do secret shopping jobs and they have places that can pay you to buy gas. I can tell you where or you can go to freelance mommies group and they have some info on it. It is legit and you don't have to pay to get started and I have been doing it for over 2 yrs. I know what it is like to struggle been a single mom for over 30 yrs.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 9:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• What a revelation, right? It's sickening. Still, I'd rather work my ass off from here on out than give up and go on assistance. That is not what it's there for and I would not feel right. I worked for 10 years before my first baby was born and decided to stay home. Now I'm in school and cannot wait to finish and go back to work. I loved the feeling of earning my own money even when it was just minimum wage and I barely got the bills paid. I was thrilled to be productive and get a check with my name on it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• sorry wrong info in the last message it wasn't freelance mommies it was momprenure sorry think it is spelled wrong.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 9:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You are absolutely right. I think the income guidelines should be raised a little higher for people to recieve the assistance that they need. I bet there would be a whole lot less fraud going on. I never understood it when I was a single mom and struggling...I worked making $10.00 an hour, 36 hours a week and I didnt even qualify to recieve childcare vouchers or anything. So, half of my income went to childcare and the other half was for rent.The rest of the bills were out in limbo, getting a little here and there and food..oh my gosh...if it werent for ramon noodles, we would have starved to death.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes it is such a shame that people like us have to suffer if you're poor you get everything if you're rich well you have enough money. While dh & I don't make anywhere near minmum wage either one of us we are struggling everyday.I would though rather struggle and work my a** off to make my own money then be THOSE people that people talk about that could get a job but are too lazy to do so. I think the guidelines need to change & help out the people that need short term help. A few yrs ago my dh couldn't work because he had major back surgery but we couldn't get any help because I make too much well my too much was just enough to cover the house payment nothing else. I relied on the people at my job to bring me food, gas cards, gift cards & they were great about it. Not once did dh's company do anything for us not even his friends. I was out to every place I could go just to feed my family any churches etc
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you qualify you can get grants from the government to help pay your bills.
    You don't need to quit your job and get on food stamps, that's a step backwards.
    You need to find something that's going to help move you forward. So look into maybe starting up babysitting in your home or something of that nature. Don't quit your job, because you need that money. You're not going to make a better life for yourself by mooching off the government when you're already employed. It's not right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My dad had this "rule" (I guess you'd say) for us growing up. He'd say "People who need the help and use it are not second class citizens so don't ever treat them like they are. There are people who need help and people who don't. If you need it, use it. If you are smart enough, healthy enough and capable of working to take care of your family then that's what you do. You don't ask questions. You just do what you have to do in order to pay the bills." Just last night I talked to him and he reminded me that our neighbors paid our utilities six months out of the year because he would mow their lawns, fix bicycles, tune up cars, fix leaky faucets, etc.

It's the kind of lesson that doesn't mean much until you become an adult with kids of your own. The temptation to just quit and live the easy life is always there, especially when times get hard but be strong and get creative because there is usually going to be a better answer.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I will say it again. That my dear is what is the matter with the welfare system. They punish you for trying to work hard and make your life better by saying you make too much. Or, you can sit and sponge off the system because it is actually more financially practical and not work. The middle ground...YOU between welfare and a hard place.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I know this economy has hit a lot of people hard in many areas. My DH got an awesome job after being without one for 2 months, which is surprising in this area, but it only covers about 2/3 of our bills where the previous job paid them all just fine with extra left over. I have been trying to get a job for 2 years, but am limited in experience and duties that I can perform due to my chronic lower back pain. I'm lucky to even get an interview!
    My 21 y/o DD found a solution that worked for her and I commend her for it. She was working full-time in retail for minimum wage and earning commissions, but they kept cutting back her hours. She couldn't afford childcare so I was taking care of my grandbaby. She found a job as a M-F daytime Nanny where she is able to bring her DD & she kept the retail job for the weekends, which is when our grandbaby stays with us anyway.
    You have to do what is best for you & your family.
    All the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010