Cars, suvs, mini vans oh my!

So I am not getting a new car or used one anytime soon. My current car is a very teeny tiny toyota echo. My hubby and I have been talking about cars because we want between 3 and 4 kids. I don't know if I want a mini van what are some vehicles you suggest that would hold a family of 5 or 6 (that's including us (mom and dad) )
I am looking at:
Prius
Nissan Rogue
Nissan Murano
Toyota Rav 4
Honda Quest (updated mini van)

I don't want it to be huge and honking! Maybe I should reevaluate my kid goal LOL I probably willl but just for fun....what do you think?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just keep in mind that many SUV's only have one backseat that will carry only 3 passengers and 2 bucket seats up front, for a total of 5 passengers.
    I test drove a Toyota RAV and it was a narrow SUV, which I knew would not allow my older children to comfortably fit in the backseat. I bought a Toyota Highlander instead and keep a car seat behind the front passenger seat (it's rather large), and the 2 older children still at home fit okay in the middle and other window seat. The middle seat is narrow, but there is a lot of leg and head room. If we had had 4 children then we would have had to look for a vehicle with a third seat.
    If you don't have over 3 children yet, then a typical SUV would be just fine. In fact, one as wide as my Highlander would fit 2 car seats in the back comfortably leaving the middle seat free for an older child.
    Have fun shopping!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When I had a family of 5-6 I drove a dodge caravan. IT was pretty much like driving a car. After the last kid I got a Saturn Outlook which seats 8. It isn't as easy to drive. I do like on star though. Really it doesn't look any bigger than any other suv but it is bigger than a mini van.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We are SUV shopping as well. Have you seen the Buick Rendezvous? It has a removable 3rd row seating option and it's not a HUGE vehicle. I'm not sure what we're going with yet either. I'm more sure of what we're not going with.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I googled them all and I like the Rav 4. We're also looking at SUV's and mini-vans. I have no idea whatn we'll get, though. DH and I can't seem to agree on anything! lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have a 2009 Murano, (it's bigger than the Rogue--which my SIL has), and with CAR SEATS/boosters it holds TWO children in the back comfortably--you would never be able to fit a 3rd child/car seat. Before the Murano I had a Pathfinder, and it was the same with that car too--2 car seats and no room for a third!

If you're planning on having 3-4 kids, then you are going to need a minivan or the equivalent of a Ford Expedition sized SUV!! because you'll need two rows of backseats--let alone space for all the gear that 3-4 children requires!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My DH drives a GMC Envoy Xl Denali; it holds two adults and 5 kids (one in a carseat) comfortably. I have a Cadillac SRX (2010, they changed the body style), I can fit three in the backseat, but it's tight.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Please buy American!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• sorry anonymous...I am kind of a toyota girl! LOL
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I drove a Pontiac Montana when we had our 2nd child. Mini van was OK but couldn't wait to have a normal vehicle. I drive a full size Dodge Ram extended cab pick up now and I love my truck and the 4WD- awesome in Iowa winters.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 11:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have a Nissan Armada (we are a family of six) it holds all of us plus friends or family very comfortably. I love my Armada, it handles great, has plenty of power and has MORE backseat room than any other suv on the market.
    I had a friend that has six people in her family and she bought a brand new Highlander (with three rows). She only had it a few months before it was totaled in a wreck. She went straight back into a mini-van after the Highlander. While she loved her Highlander she said there just was not enough space.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010