What would you do if you had a penpal from Turkey who wanted to teach you Turkish?

Yesterday, a guy from Turkey added me as a friend on Facebook. He wants to teach me about Turkish language and culture. I know nothing about it, but I would like to learn a little.

rachelcat

Asked by rachelcat at 9:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Go for it
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well, if he's your friend, I don't see the harm. Maybe you could teach him about American culture and traditions and language/slang.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had a guy on mine from Turkey who wanted to do the same thing.. then he started talking about sending me a plane ticket so I could visit him in Turkey.. I told him no and he said that he would come here to see me.. He was very weird.lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• As long as it stayed an exchange of language and culture information then it sounds like an educational experience. But if it comes to visiting and you don't know the guy, then I'd back away. Especially if the reason he added you was that he saw your picture on your site. That's creepy.

Answer by Bmat at 9:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Then by all means learn. However if he wants to teach you a cult like religion and make you an american terrorist then avoide him like the plauge! If your blonde and he wants you to come to turkey RUN!! They still treat women like slaves in that part of the world.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I personally avoid random people who I don't know on Facebook, just because I think it's creepy to get a 'friend' request from a total stranger! It's always cool to learn about a different language and culture, but I personally would not do it from some anonymous dude on the internet.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The guy saw my picture and he said that I look beautiful, and he likes white women. He told me a little about Turkish culture and asked me questions about America.
    rachelcat

Comment by rachelcat (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you're interested then go for it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010