Dog chews off owner's toe -- and may have saved his life

Melissa Dahl writes: We've done stories before on dogs sniffing out diseases their owners didn't even know they had. Now a little terrier named Kiko has one-upped all of them: He went ahead and performed surgery. Kind of.

According to a bizarre story reported in The Grand Rapids Press, Kiko smelled an infection in his owner's right big toe and set about "amputating" it. Which in doggie terms, of course, means he ate it. All the while, Kiko's owner, Jerry Douthett of Rockford, Mich., lay passed-out drunk in his bed. (We told you it was bizarre.) If you want to read more and see the picture of the family.
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/08/03/4807400-dog-chews-off-owners-toe-and-may-have-saved-his-life?gt1=43001

gammie

Asked by gammie at 9:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Between the diabetes and the infection there probably was not a lot of feeling left in the toe to begin with.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That's crazy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow... I can't imagine ever being that drunk! I wonder what he said when he woke up?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't think I could ever be that drunk that my dog could chew my toe I feel nothing?
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• was he diabetic?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow..thats crazy!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes he is diabetic.
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• lol thats funny. glad it wasn't me!!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well now, that is a special kind of drunk right there! How do you not feel that? And what is it with men not listening to their wives about going to the Dr?
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow!!! I don't think I could ever get drunk enough that I wouldn't feel it if my dog chewed on my toe....I wake up when my dog even walks around near me...I'm a very light sleeper, even when drunk. My cat knew when I was in labor before I did. When I went into labor he wouldn't leave my side...I thought it was braxton hicks because they didn't hurt...and no matter what I did to make the cat leave he kept coming right back...he followed me everywhere til I finally went to the hospital.....when I got home he wanted nothing to do with me for awhile, it was kinda funny, he's my baby though...he also loves both my kids...
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2010