2 year old smoking!

Anyone read about or watch the video of that two year old boy from Indonesia who smokes like 40 ciggarettes a day? The parents think he is healthy because he is so big still. And he has been smoking since he was like 1 which means the parents held it for him and helped him learn! What is the world coming too. I saw this on CNN but here is a link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/ardi-rizal-smoking-video_n_590404.html

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I am not surprised. When we lived in Germany, there were 6, 7, and 8 year olds who would smoke everyday after school. They have cigarette vending machines on the sidewalks were anyone who had 3 euro could purchase them. I don't agree with it at all but that is part of their culture. What is taboo to us is not taboo for them and what is not taboo for us is taboo for them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes I saw it on TV, very sad.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I saw it and it made me sad. He looked like a little man. I heard they were trying to help him quit but he gets really cranky
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is horrible I read about that a while ago, and I can't believe some parent would actually do that to their child. It is disgusting. Smoking is such a hard habit to break too...I know, I just quit a few months ago after smoking for 11 years, and I still have horrible cravings, and I am 27...I couldn't imagine someone putting a two year old through that.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is horrible I just watched it and can not believe a parent would want there baby to smoke, let a lone teach him at 1. Makes me sick!!!!!
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't care how cranky he gets! Thats ridiculous!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Jeremysmom its not about being taboo or not being taboo. Its about health and safety. Cig smoke is BAD for the body and affects everything. Studies are showing that even exposure to 3rd hand smoke can be harmful. And to top it off a burning object is not safe for a two year old to have in his/her hands.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Maggiebella25, I completely agree with you. I do think that it is unhealthy and obviously the father is not educated on the effects of smoking on the inside of the body because he was saying "He looks healthy". My comment was not to disagree that a 2 year old smoking is not healthy but rather to offer a different view. What we may think is outrageous is not to other people, whether it is healthy or not and vice versa. I am sad that a 2 year old was introduced to cigarettes at all. And btw, how do they afford $5 a day for cigarettes?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is so wrong!
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 4:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Very true Jeremysmom. I know where you are coming from. You are right in a 3rd world country where the average mortality rate is low as is...cig smoking isn't viewed as bad. I just feel for the little guy! No hard feelings toward you.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010