How can a couple with no family history of twins concieve twins naturally?

Is having twins in your family the only chance you have of conceiving twins naturally?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• No. It may depend on the mother's history to a degree for fraternal twins. You have to release more than one egg to have fraternal twins. This may run on the mother's side of the family, or even sometimes occur after getting off of birth control. It doesn't matter if it runs on the father's side of the family. For identical twins, it is a complete act of randomness. One fertilized egg splits and anyone has the possibility of identical twins.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No. Genetics actually plays a very small if not insignifigant role in concieving twins naturally. It's your body that determins whether that happens or not. It depends on how the egg produces.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• we have them in the family and i have twin boys.... but who in their right mind would want twins? it's very difficult and unfair to a child that deserve individual attention. you make best out of what you get
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I doubt it, because it had to start somewhere ya know? I'm not sure completely but I really wouldn't think that's your only chance.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• usually its an act of randomness

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No....I have twins....no twins in my family history (Except one set born through IVF, but that does not count) Mine are called spontaneous twins. I don't know how we got them though! lol.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I was told it skips a generation. I was told I could have had twins because of this pattern. I didn't. However, I would have been thrilled to have had twins.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is entirely possible. Also, if you get pregnant immediatelyafter coming off of long term birth control, you're more likely to conceive twins (according to my OB, who suggested that we wait three months after coming off of bc to get pregnant for this very reason).

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 10:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• its all up to chance
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It's a random thing. There is nothing natural that you can to to up the odds.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2010