How do you make your food stretch when it has to last another week?

TootieFruitie

Asked by TootieFruitie at 10:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I can help you if you tell me what you have.

broccoli+pasta+parm cheese+butter+olive oil= yum

make soup. It's filling and it's cheap.

visit the group healthy food happy budget.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Depends on what you have already. Potatoes go pretty far. You don't have to eat meat every meal, skip it a couple days.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Depends on what I have on hand. I almost always have rice, pasta, beans, etc. on hand that can be added to most dishes to stretch them further & make them more filling. I also like to stock up on canned veggies when they are on sale because I can always mix them with the rice, pasta, beans, etc. to make a soup or stew or add them to ground meat to make a larger meatloaf with less meat, etc. Whole grains & whole veggies are naturally more filling, too, so you eat less & feel full longer.

Is this what you mean?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Add rice or noddles.
    Or what I use to do is collect cans than get cash for them. It starts at home and than we would go play at the park and I would see cans there. It is hot out there are going to be lots of cans in the parks. You can make money for food for a week.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I eat with my mom. lol. I love her cooking and she loves cooking for us.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I like to get creative. I have a fairly well stocked pantry so I see what I can make that I didn't think of. I also like to make casseroles out of leftovers. Last week I had left over sloppy joes we ate them for a couple meals and then ran out of buns. I only had about a cup of it left, so i mixed it with some sauted onion and green pepper a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of tomato soup and some egg noodles I topped the whole thing with cheese. Best way I've stretched what would have been about one sloppy joe into an entire meal, and we're still eating leftovers. :-)
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Make big things that are cheap--spaghetti, goulash, chili, veggie soup.\

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I try to incorporate a lot of pasta in many dishes to make it more filling. Pasta is considered a carbohydrate and is filling. You can add meat to it if you have it on hand.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I take inventory of my cupboards/freezer/fridge and see what I can make from what I already have. Get creative! You can make a soup out of leftovers, stews out of small amounts of meat/veggies, chili with cooked dry beans and tomato juice + seasonings. I'll make plenty of biscuits or muffins to fill the family up so I can get away with smaller amounts of the main dish (stew, soups, chili, etc) Flour, eggs, water & salt will make noodles that you can pair with seasonings for filling lunches. Pancakes are usually on the menu if we have to stretch the food out, and tortillas with beans & rice, or biscuits with eggs or gravy to top them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Go to family members house and eat there Drink lots of water and when you eat you dont eat as much so leftovers for the next day GL
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010