I just got a new pup and....

at what age can you take the dog in for shots? Hoover (bet you can't guess how he got that name) is 9 weeks. I think that might be too young. I don't know what age you get them fixed at either. I already got him some dewormer stuff and gave that to him yesterday. What else should I do?

babyfat5

Asked by babyfat5 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Anytime you bring a new dog into your home, you should take it to see a vet within a week or two to make sure that it is healthy. At the same time, the vet will let you know what vaccines the pup needs and be able to answer any concerns you may have its future healthcare needs.

In general, most pups starte getting thier first shots at 6 weeks, with follow ups 4 weeks apart. The earliest a dog can be neutered or spayed is 6 months.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• They can get their first Distemper shot at 6 weeks, and then followed by another 3 weeks later...so about nine weeks...so he'd be good to go and get them now...and They can get fixed at 6 months.,,,Enjoy your pup mine is 8 weeks old :)
    ThreeFates511

Answer by ThreeFates511 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• 6 months I think he is good for shots and fixing him. I love puppies, specially puppy breath!

Answer by older at 10:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Not 100% sure because I've never had a pup younger than 3 months, but I think it would be ok. Neutering, my vet said 3 or 4 months I think, but your best bet is to call up a vet's office and ask for both questions.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• To add, my pup was about 3 months old when I started taking her in for her shots. That was a requirement from the Humane Society, I had one week from adopting her to start her shot schedule.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'd just call the vet..
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• take him to the vet they will tell you everything you need to know. And ask about the shots they do on the weekends they might to be cheaper.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Our vet wants to see our babies right after we get them. He starts us out with a puppy package, makes sure that there are no worms or problems and just answers basic questions. It's actually really nice and by doing this we get a discount on the spay/neuter fee.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 10:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010