Strangely enough, my baby was sleeping through the night. Now she isn't. How can I get her to so I can get some sleep?

gnovinger

Asked by gnovinger at 10:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i am betting on teething there momma
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree w/ the pp about the teething. One thing I've learned about babies and small kids, is sleep is never consistent. You can have a few good months and then things like teething, learning to walk, changes in life in general can disrupt it. It gets better, but both my kids, even as toddlers went through periods where they didn't sleep through the night. You just have to find what's going on and work on getting them back to sleeping through the night. Sometimes it takes a couple of nights, sometimes longer. Its about knowing this and working through it. One day, they will sleep through the night more often than not!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Is she starting to get teeth??
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You are doing it fine. Many babies need to be put down in DEEP sleep. You'd likely wake up too if you were shifted during your light phase of sleep. Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Unfortunately, if you are used to a baby that was sleeping long stretched from the get go, you are a reatity and are thus are not used to night parenting. It's all quite normal to help babies with sleep just as we do with feeding and pottying needs. This phase doesn't last forever, and believe it or not you will miss it when you are no longer needed.

Dr sears articles on normal sleep
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How old is she?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• she's 8 months old
    gnovinger

Comment by gnovinger (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• is she eating enough before bedtime? what does she wake up for? does she need comforting? try cosleeping together. if she's hungry put some rice powder in her bottle.babies r fairly predictable you just have to figure out what is bothering her
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm with the others. teething.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well, she basically wakes up, stands up and cries. I pick her up, and she stops crying. Then she cuddles, and goes to sleep. But then i try to put her back in her crib and she starts crying again. So, I end up having to hold her until she is in DEEP sleep so i can put her back in her crib.
    gnovinger

Comment by gnovinger (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010