Bad behavior...

I had planned on taking our boys to a museum today and out to lunch. They will be gone over the weekend so I wanted to do something fun with them before they leave. Well, they both haven't behaved very well. One of them has been back talking and fighting with his older brother, and the other got an attitude this morning when I told him to turn off a video game. I know it seems minor, but I want them to learn a lesson about having a bad attitude and suffering the consequences. At the same time I'm feeling bad because their older brother gets to go to our local fair this evening with a friend and they don't. So that's why I was going to take them out for the day. Grrr I'm so torn, I don't know what to do. TY for any help or advice... ( They will be having fun over the weekend)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I get like that too with my son. I'll feel bad because i want him to be able to do whatever it was we had planned but he'll end up misbahving and I'll tell him he can't go and he'll cry. I used to always give in..but that was a big mistake on my part. If he wanted to go as badly as I wanted him to go..I guess he would be behaving to begin with.
    Maybe sit them down and spell it out for them one more time. Tell them..this is your last and final warning...I really want to take you guys, it means a lot to me and it will make me sad not to take you but if you guys don't behave you leave me with no choice.Now think long and hard about your actions for the rest of the day."
    Good Luck..wish it was easier being a parent! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• maybe give them one more warning?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would tell they they are about to loose the fun activities that are planned for the day.
    Tell them that he next one who gets out of line, screws it all up for everyone. It is their choice whether or not they stay home, being bored all day or going out and having fun.
    Then stick to your guns if they screw up the fun day is cancelled
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Keeping them home today is not going to result in changed behavior. What I would have done is busted both their behinds at the time of the behaviors and told them that kind of stuff is not tolerated in this home. Then it would have been over and done with. Everyone gets disciplined for his own bad behavior and the day can proceed without punishing the whole family. These are issues of the heart, demonstrations of lack of respect for you and for each other. Teaching of these virtues is a gradual process and missing out on something that they have not even experienced yet will likely not help at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010