Do u ask your landlord for stuff alot or try and take care of it yourself?

The heating element on our stove went out, supposedly its a kinda common thing and simple to fix if u find a replacement one (or so my dad says who's worked on things like that all his life). Well DH thinks we should just find one ourselves and have my dad replace it but i called the landlord to get him to find one and i told him my dad would replace it, so all he has to do if find one and pay for it, its HIS stove and its not like we call him for repairs every day or something! PLUS we don't have the $$ to get another one, not that i know how much it will cost but seriously we barely scrape by as it is and with school starting and the kids needing school supplies and school clothes i don't want to be wasting any 'extra' (not really extra just usually means we pay a bill late or wait until next paycheck) money on stuff that is the landlord's responsiblity, kwim? i really don't know why dh is getting all pissed about it!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 10:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Take care of it myself.. my landlord is a bitch.. and stalls everytime I have called her for something.. If it is something huge, like the water heater.. I'll call
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We generally try to take care of stuff ourselves. Landlords, believe it or not, are busy people. if you wait until your landlord comes, it could be a while. So, my husband is a pretty handyman, so we geneally take care of stuff ourselves. Although, what I would do, is just send your landlord the bill. He may deduct it from your rent, some are generous enough to do that.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 10:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• For little stuff like that, we take care of it ourselves. My landlord lives 10 feet from us so we will usually ask him if he has something hanging around but we have only called him once in 7 months.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• if the stove came with the apartment or house, its your landlords responsability to fix it. period. in fact you need to notify him anyways before doing ANYTHING. most landlords will not take kindly to a tenant doing thier own repairs and not notifying them of the issue.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When we were renting an apartment, most of the time we just took care of things ourselves, or we just didn't worry about it if it wasn't that serious. Waiting for them to get around to fix whatever was really annoying. However if it was something that needed to be taken care of urgently and we couldn't do it ourselves, then we called them.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Legally (as far as I'm aware) its your landlords responsibility to fix this stuff not yours. Now you want to check for sure, but if you ever pay for repairs out of pocket, I believe they either have to reimburse you or let you take it out of the rent (like if your rent is $600 and you pay $100 in repair, you can legally pay them $500, but you have to have documentation etc.) Check because I'm sure each state is different, but my bff rented her old house when she moved to a bigger one and was talking about those types of things. Your DH is wrong...you're right! :)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husband can pretty much fix anything so when I tell him something needs fixing or replacing he tells me to call "The Office"
    He says, We don't pay rent for HIM to fix things, it's what the caretaker is for
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When there was something needing fixing that my DH was able to take care of (DH builds houses for a living, so could fix pretty much everything), I would usually call the landlord & make arrangements with him to allow us to fix it and send him the bill for parts or materials as a portion of our rent for that month. We rented for 4 years before we bought our first house and both landlords that we had appreciated us doing things that way because it was less work & worry for them. At our last apartment (mind you, this was 16 years ago) we even replaced the hot water tank for our landlord (sweetest old man you could ever meet) and got him a great deal on it, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If you have a lease and it allows for repairs if your landlord is reluctant to fix the problem since you need a stove to cook with, you may be able to deduct the repair from you rent payments. However you need to see if it's a provision in it. You need to check it out carefully before doing so.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well, we haven't had an actual lease for 2 years... we had a 1yr lease when we moved in but then the duplex changed owners anyways so we've never actually had a lease agreement with this landlord :P He was totally fine with me calling him and telling him about it though and he's usually pretty good about getting stuff fixed in a timely manner. I would totally not mind fixing it ourselves and sending him the bill or taking it out of the rent but we just don't have the $$ right now, kwim? then again if he has to order one online we'd probably have the $$ by the time he gets the part too :P I was just really upset that my dh got mad a ME for calling the landlord for something that i KNOW is his responsibility and not ours! he was just in a bad mood this morning since i denied him morning sex i guess :P lol
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2010