Cleaning products could be toxic to your body?

I just read about a study that was done that said that being exposed to cleaning products regularly can make you more at risk for breast cancer. This also includes all the air freshners you see advertised on tv? Apparently the chemicals in these products interfer with the chemicals in our bodies and alter them with continuous use. I am not sure what to believe on this one? What do you think?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Health

• I think everything causes cancer and don't worry about it too much. Everyone will get cancer if they live long enough...The whole cell break down thing--- anywho.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• IDK but if the natural stuff works I will try it...

http://housekeeping.about.com/cs/environment/a/alternateclean.htm

Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Some chemicals are definitely bad to be around. I believe it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I read that same article, it was based off a phone survey of a whole bunch of elderly people and half of them had had breast cancer, the other half hadn't. I believe it.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think it's true - just look at how many people who have bad allergies, get sick often or develop horrible diseases nowadays. I don't use any of that stuff in my house b/c I have a child that was born with a horrible disease and I want to keep him as healthy as possible. My son doesn't get nearly as sick as the typical kids he hangs out with and I think it is because he isn't constantly being exposed to numerous chemicals that can stress his body and immune system in particular. And my kid should be sick all of the time considering that he has a primary immunodeficieny disease & asthma from his mito disease, but he's not, he's usually healthier than everybody else and I intend to keep him that way.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Don't doubt it too much. Lysol is a registered pesticide.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• *hands out the tinfoil*
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Not really concerned, I haven't bought commercial cleaning products in decades. Baking Soda, Borax, Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil and Lavender Oil, Olive Oil and Lemons is all you really need! These natural products can clean, disinfect, deodorize, kill bacteria/mold/mildew and polish your furniture, not to mention make mirrors/windows sparkly clean.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I definitely believe it!!!!! The air in our homes is wayyy more toxic than outside air. So SAHM's are living in a toxic environment more than non-SAHM's. I agree with WoodWitch, haven't used commercial cleaning products in a long time.
    Mommygoose

Answer by Mommygoose at 11:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I dont believe that garbage. People are way to concerned with all these chemicals. I agree with bumblebeestingu, everyone will get cancer of some sort eventually. Everything causes cancer these days. Soon enough they will be telling us not to eat fruits and veggies cuz they will give us cancer!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010