17 month old just learning to walk

My son is 17 months and is now just learning to walk but still doesn't talk he can say momma dada yum yay nana and baba and that's about it and when i brough this up with his doctor i get an uh huh and ok and that's about it i have asked many time's for a new doctor and all i get is no one is taking on new cases right now.....and now that he's walking with the help of a push toy i noticed his left leg bows out and he walk's on his left foot's tipy toe's.....i'm so sick of not being listened to when it comes to my son's doctor GRRRRRRR...can anyone lend some advice on helping DS?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• woman you are your child's first and best advocate. STAND UP for your child. politely but firmly request a referal to a pediatric specialist for developemental delays both phsyical and otherwise. dont take uh huh ok etc for an answer. be a burr in thier side til you get what you want
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would call early intervention in your area and get a free evaluation. They will do an overall developmental evaluation and should catch any problems, should there be any, in any area. If there aren't any issues, then at least you have peace of mind. If there are, then you have a jump on getting any therapy that he needs started up.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would first take a deep breathe and celerate yea!!! Your baby is walking! My son is 19 mo and still can't talk. Just started to babble two months ago. If he is just truely learning to walk, I wouldn' worry too much about the tippy toe bow legged walk. Have you spoken to an Early Intervention group? They can do an evaluation of your son to see if anything is needed. My doc says the same thing abotu the talking that its not a big deal. That because the rest of development is on track, he's not worried abotu speech. Our sons Speech therapist will be here at 3 today. Try contacting EI. They can see if he needs the help or is just been mastering other skills first before such things as walking and talking :-) Good Luck mama!
    jellis

Answer by jellis at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There is a wide range of normal for kids to learn to walk (I think the norm is typically 10 months - 18 months or so!) and talking is much the same. Your little boy is saying a lot more at 17 months than my son was at 19 months! Truly, he said his 1st real word when he was about 20 months old through help in early intervention services. My ds was just a late bloomer, nothing wrong, though we think that the multiple ear infections may have delayed his speech b/c of mild hearing loss during this time. My ds is almost 6, going into the 1st grade. He did awesome in kindergarten, better than we could've hoped for. I say this just so you know there is a big chance your child is the same! :) That said, if you're truly concerned, keep asking. Never be afraid to advocate for your child. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep asking until you get someone who will listen b/c you are his mom and the only one who will
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Go to the ER and find out from a different doctor then.. I have never heard of a Dr not taking new paitents for children.. no way.. i woudl demand.. I have to agree that you are your childs ONLY and best advocate - don't take Uhhuh and yep for answers anymore.. be firm and strong.. something should have been noticed as an infant if he's still this bowed or hurting or wrong..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Hmm..at the point you are at now this is what I would do. You said no one is taking new patients but I would personally walk in at a new doctor's office. I would tell them that I was concerned about my child and that I didn't feel like my childs current pediatrician was taking me seriously. I would do whatever necessary to get a new doc to see my child, even if it came down to begging. I don't know for certain that there is necessarily anything wrong with your child. I know there a lot of children that are just late walkers and/or talkers, but you should at least be leaving from your pediatricians office with something other than what you are getting. Best of luck!
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Have you tried calling all the pedatricians in your area? And I do meanALL. Keep calling until you find one that will accept new patients. Only take your child to someone you feel comfortable with and you listens to your concerns.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My daughter didn't walk until 18 months, so I don't think I would be that concerned about the walking. You can have a free early intervention screening. Just ask your current doctor for a referral.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010