What do you discuss with someone in hospice care?

I think it would be cruel to discuss my upcoming plans; can't discuss her upcoming plans, so what is safe terrritory?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 11:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm not quite understanding the question? You want to talk to someone who is being taken care of..? Are they going to die soon?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Usually older people have great stories. I love to hear them tell them, and they love to tell them. I don't know if she would mind talking about your upcoming plans, but if it were me talking to someone on hospice, I would feel guilty telling them about all of the fun things that I was going to go do (especially if it's not an elderly person, KWIM?)

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Anything upbeat since this will help the person feel better. Focus on the good. If they can go out and take a small walk, anything to enjoy life without worry and concentrating on what's wrong. Bring something funny to read or listen to so they can have their spirits uplifted. Those little things that create lasting memories.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• SuperrMommyy - people on hospice usually have a diagnosis that gives them less than 18 months to live
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Okay Karo.. My uncle was on it, but I didn't know much about it.. & I agree with you--just listen to some stories.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you can just say how is your day going & were thinking about you & all the stories you say
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OP here - She is young; the parent of kids still in school. She isn't able to talk. Probably only going to be a week or so.
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I should say she is bearly able to talk, but there will be family there.
    Whimsee

• whoops I mean "barely"
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ok - she's young and not really able to talk. I wouldn't tell her about all of my upcoming plans. Just reminisce with her. Talk about all of the good times that you have had with her.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2010