What is the going rate for alowance?

What is the going rate for alowance?
I have a 5 and 6 year old and how do u work the alowance ?

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 11:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We have a check mark system. He can earn up to $10 a week at 9yrs old. BUT!!! He also has A LOT of responsibility. He has the oppertunity to earn 10 marks a day. Thats 70 marks a week.. 0-10 Marks - nothing 10-20 $2 ;20-30 $3 ;30-40 $5; 40-50 $7; 50-60$8 ;60-70 $10. This being said. He also must pay for TV time and for other Privleges around the house. Any extra money goes to savings and tha is what he can spend at a store.
    jellis

Answer by jellis at 11:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $0 in our house. We feel that we meet all of our children's needs, and a lot of their wants, and we have savings for them, so there is no need for allowance. We don't pay them just for being our children. I can't imagine giving a 9 year old $10 a week! What would they earn as teenagers at that rate? If we did that we would be broke since we have eight kids. Haha! That wasn't meant as an insult, jellis! I just think our differences are funny!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i was watching a program a couple weeks ago, this is what the lady suggested:
    give them $1 per year each week (so your 5 yr old would get $5, 6 yr old would get $6.)
    THEN they have to take $1 and put it into a savings jar/account, $1 goes into a "family" account and the rest they can do what they want with it. she said give them the money regardless of if they have chores or not BUT if they stop doing their chores they have to pay extra into the family account. the family account is used for family stuff (vacations, trips to the movies, etc. that EVERYONE wants to do). as they get older they have to put more money into the savings and family accounts (so like when they turn 8 they would put $2 into each, then at 12 they would put $3. the basic idea was to put 1/2 away and have 1/2 to spend. it teaches them to be responsible with their money and not blow it)
    that's what i'm going to do with DD when she turns 4 in september.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $0... which BTW really pisses my teenagers off, but if I paid them it would have to be out of the grocery budget and I'm already trying to feed the 5 of us on $75/week.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No allowance here - she's not paid for contributing, she's expected to be a member of the team!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no allowance, we can't afford it. when we can i imagin it will be something like $4 a week for the 8 year old, $3.50 for the 7 and so on.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 4:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• $0. I will occasionally pay him to do 'extra' chores that are not normally asked of him. Like his job is cat box, his toys, carrying up his clean clothes, clearing his dishes and helping to empty the dishwasher. If I ask him to carry up my laundry I may give him 50 cent. If I ask him to help fold towels I may give him a dollar. He does his chores because he is apart of the family he gets incentive for doing more than his share.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My 8, 10, and 12 year old get $4/week - $2 to spend and $2 to put in their savings account at the credit union.

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• At 7 we do $.25 a day. It's more of a reward for actually getting it done than an allowance really. He must actually complete the chores.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We do 2 dollars a week for our 5 and almost 7 year olds. They help fold laudry(kinda). Clean up their rooms and help me around the house as much as possible.
    MommyInk2

Answer by MommyInk2 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010