Can I replace orange extract with...

orange juice? I'm making Paula Deens' recipe for orange brownies, but I'm unsure of whether I need to buy the extract, or if I can get away with using orange juice. It already calls for a 1TSP of orange zest. What do you think?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 11:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't think it would hurt anything, but the flavor may not be as strong. I think the extract would be far more concentrated.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Skip the juice and stick with the zest instead

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with Jessica. Extract gives things a more intense flavor.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• the juice might have too much water or sugar...the zest might be enough~tell us how they taste!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It may not taste right if you use oj
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If using the juice i would use fresh juice not store bought and use the zest maybe a little extra zest cause as the previous madam said the extract is stronger.
    3kidcircus

Answer by 3kidcircus at 12:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• maybe the frozen concentrate orange juice...but not straight oj. Even fresh it has too much water and not enough flavor for a browine recipe. Otherwise I think it would be best to stick with the extract and zest. You can always double the zest for an extra punch of flavor.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010