I am breastfeeding my 8-month old son and am pregnant, people have told me that my milk is of "poorer" quality...What do you think?

louLT

Asked by louLT at 11:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• thats not true at all

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never heard or read that it is of poorer quality, but I think I have been told that it will take on a taste that the baby doesn't care for to encourage it to wean? I could be off there but I know I heard that somewhere.

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Documented fact- your milk composition DOES change, but is not of any poorer quality, though your supply may drop. Even *IF* your milk were of poorer quality than usual, it would STILL be better than formula. Nurse as long as you can/want.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• that's not true.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never heard of that..... I would ask your doctor just to see what they think
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• not true, your milk will still be made out of the same stuff, and the new baby will be taking the nutrients it needs, but you do need to be sure to get more of your nutrients so that you don't get sucked dry and become unhealthy. If you aren't taking in enough nutrients, new baby and your milk will get it from elsewhere in your body!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You need to make sure you're getting your vitamins, that you eat enough calories to be gaining weight for the baby and also that you drink enough water during the day. Other than that, there should be no problems. Good luck :)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 12:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• From what I have heard that is not true.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• that's not true, but the quantity and taste does change, so your baby might not like that
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think that people need to mind their own business. This is not true. As long as you are eating for three and taking your vitamins then it is fine. I have friends who tandum nurse which means they nurse one baby, get pregnant with another, nurse during that pregnancy and then nurse both babies. This is what I plan to do. It is safe. The biggest issue is your nutrition and vitamins and making sure they are getting enough to eat.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010