can you carry 1 twin and miscarry the other?

I have a friend who just a few weeks ago found out she is pregnant with twins. She was just in the ER and they told her she will miscarry one. If she miscarries one wouldnt the other one expels itself too? I have had 4 miscarriages...never twins..but I am just curious if anyone has ever heard of this.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They believe that happened to my aunt. She was pregnant and had NOT had an ultrasound and at about 6 weeks she began to bleed VERY heavily....all over the floor and everything....had several large clots too.

She was rushed to the ER where they found one healthy beating heart and her bleeding continued for a few days lightening up and finally stopping.

The rest of her pregnancy went normally and she had a healthy baby. The Dr's told her that they think but will never know for sure,,,that this is what happened.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have heard of this early on in the pregnancy, which it seems that your friend is. I don't know about later on though. Did they give her any medical advice on it, like what the chances of the other surviving may be?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes it is possible. I used to watch all the baby shows and stuff, and saw similar stories more than once.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes..that can happen.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes,ive heard of loosing one twin an not the other.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have a friend to whom this happened. She miscarried one and the other is today 19 years old.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think in this instance,the dead twin is "reabsorbed" it doesn't come out. My friend Cathie is experiencing this now. Her 2nd child disappeared at 9 weeks.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That's what happened to me in my 1st pregnancy. It is possible.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 11:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• wow that is just amazing to me. that our bodies can do that. thanks gals =)
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes she can carry tho other twin to full term.. depending if they are in two different embryonic sacs.. I know of a girl in this very same predicament and she was carrying twins and miscarried one... she is almost full term with other baby now
    Imurangel

Answer by Imurangel at 11:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2010