new cat older cats still not taking to her..

I have too older cats one 18 and one 7 years old. I found a kitten at shoneys the other day I brougt her home. Its been a little over a week and my older cats still isnt taking to her. Its been so long since I have introduce another cat in to the house I forgot how long it takes for them to get use to another cat.. Has any of you done this in the past and remember?? thanks

homemom1620

Asked by homemom1620 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pets

• I've owned a few cats and sometimes it takes just days and sometimes they never do. Though I would say that last is rare. I had to find a new home for the one cat I brought home because almost a year later my other two were still mean to her. She is now in a very nice home were she is spoiled rotten. That was the frist time where they never did at least tolerate each other I would usually say about a month or two. Good Luck.
    artio.sd

Answer by artio.sd at 12:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I am doing it now. I have 2 older female cats and brought a little male cat home from the humaine society. We named him Chuck Norris...lol. Just let them do it on their own terms. Give the new one a seperate litter box if you can... and place the food about a foot away from the other two. Mine are now still stubborn but warming up. Show all of them love...but be stern with the older one's if they start hissing or swatting. Good luck :-)
    sockmonkey

Answer by sockmonkey at 2:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have an 8 year old male cat and when I brought home a 6 week old kitten the older cat went into hiding for weeks...when he would come out to eat, he would hiss at the kitten on the way by and slither away like he was seriously disturbed by that tiny cat's presence. Eventually he got over it and now they play together and everything else, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet, unless they are being really aggressive toward the new kitten or something.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• it takes a couple of weeks to get adjusted. older cats typically wouldnt want the antics of a kitten. but i say give it time.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008