Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of advice can you give to a 15y/o girl whose mom is bi-polar and continuously stays off her medication, she tries to get along with her mom but her mom makes it difficult?

Answer Question

Asked by Imurangel at 11:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Are you the 15 yr old?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • idk i would say if you know she didnt take her medcine then avoid her that day if possible

    Answer by britme1027 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • If you are that girl, you can message me and we can talk. I was in your shoes not too long ago so if you need anyone to talk to i'm here.

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • I feel sorry for her, I went through that my whole life with my mother, she is schizophrenic and bipolar and was always going off her meds. She'd take them for a while, feel that she was fine and stop taking them all together and go off the deep end once again. Giving her advice would be hard unless she was willing to call 911 and have her mom taken to the psych ward, a couple weeks there always kept my mom on her meds for a while. And just let her talk to you, be a good listener

    Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • I would recommend this girl(or you) get into counseling so you can understand the disease better. Talk to your doctor or school counselor. She needs to recognize the signs that mom is unsafe to herself or others and know who to call and what to say. She needs to understand that calling 911 is what is best for mom so she doesn't hurt herself or anyone else. Tell her to research Bipolar Disorder on line and learn all that she can so she can help her mom and understand why her mom does what she does.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • Thanks for all the advice. This question is for my future step-daughter. She tries to avoid her mom at all cost and her mom and aunt call her continuously all day every day. This child has constant drama around her all the time. I have grown children of my own and have never had to deal with a situation like this.

    Comment by Imurangel (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • It may sound painful but her mama needs inside treatment. Because she is tramatizing her child. The child needs to be taken out of that type of dealings with her so called mama.

    Answer by annie610 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • Call family services. If Mom's bi-polar is THAT bad they can get a court order to make the mom take her med's or loose custody of the kid.

    Answer by vbruno at 11:33 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.