Raising girls vs boys

I have 2 of each. My girls were much easier when they were young. They seemed to be more self-entertaining. Teen years were tough though. My boys, at a young age, were 200% energy & constantly on the go. Definitely more destructive. And, they needed more structure & repeated instruction. Their teen years have been easier in many ways. They don't seem to desire as much as my girls did...ie...expensive brand clothing, shoes, etc. Buy them jeans, t-shirts & sneakers, they're happy. But, their teen years were definitely more awkward in respect to girls and such.

For those of you with both, boys and girls...what differences do/did you see in yours?

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 11:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 2-1/2 year old boy and he's like you mentioned.. 200% energy, needs constant instrustions and reminders and I have a 10 year old niece who's been a very close part of my life who was completely the opposite.. she's only 10 so I don't know what the teens years will bring but already I can see a change in attitude, snippy, lethargic, that' "doesn't care" type attitiude.. its sad to see and a reminder for me why I was blessed with a boy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• u pretty much summed it up for me .i think boys are harder babies and girls are harder teens
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree. I wanted to add that when my dd and ds fight, it is my dd's high pitched voice that shoots down my back like nails on a chalk board, son doesnt get all nutty like she does.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• After 6 boys I finally have a girl. She's almost two and my husband completely agrees with me that she is way easier than any of the boys we have. She picks up on things quicker, she's more independent, she'll go in the room and play by herself, she makes attempts at communication before throwing a complete hissy fit... It's such a nice break! Especially since her next older sibling is only 3 and he's still quite a handful!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think girls are easier than boys when they are young. I'm kind of dreading the teen years though for my daughter. I remember what I was like at that age, lol!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I only have a little boy and he is SO mean!
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• "I agree. I wanted to add that when my dd and ds fight, it is my dd's high pitched voice that shoots down my back like nails on a chalk board, son doesnt get all nutty like she does. "

Yep - the girls are definitely SHRILL. Even when they are having fun! LOL. The boys are just rowdy in general. Minus the SHRILL.
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• "I only have a little boy and he is SO mean!"

Children do as they see, not as their told. If there is no understanding, compassion & good, patient disciplinary skills in the home, you will have a mean child. I just feel sorry for any child who's parents can all them mean. Even if my DD was hard to deal with I'd never call her mean to someone.

To the OP, you nailed it. Boys are harder than girls when they are younger, but girls seem to be more difficult teens. Very true...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have an almost 2-year-old boy and another boy on the way. We've been blessed to have a GREAT baby boy. My husband asked a co-worker which was easier, a girl or a boy? He started saying the girls were a little easier at first -- but then switched and said boys are just easier all around.

My nieces are 6 and 9 and all I hear is so and so did this and that and the story goes on and on for hours! LOL There's just so much drama and they're still so little. I must admit, I love hearing the stories. They're so funny.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have two boys and never thought either of them were hard to raise, I don't have any girls so I can't really compare. However every woman that has girls are always telling me what a pain they are. I guess it probably depends on the child and their parents.
    While my boys were high energy when they were little it never bothered me, I liked to play football as much as the did or tumble around on the floor. As far as clothes...my 15 yr old is definitely picky when it comes to clothes and so is my 12 yr old when it comes to shoes...I'm sure they get that from me...they have to be in fashion (polo's, nice jeans, tshirts, and shoes don't get me started. My 15 yr old has like 10 pairs of shoes for different outfits)
    I've always wanted a girl but I honestly have no compliants, raising my boys never seemed too hard or harder than any of my friends had/have it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010