Book?

I have started reading the Old Testament.. I have to be honest and say that a lot of it has me shaking my head.. I find myself asking "How could they do that?".. But I think it is because the Bible (in certian areas) doesn't explain 'why' it happened, just that it happened.. Is there a book or a study guide that provides a little more background?

Ren_Ren

Asked by Ren_Ren at 12:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love J. Vernon McGee's commentaries on the Bible. He has one for every single book. His language is direct and easy to understand. It's almost like you are sitting with him, having him explain the Scriptures to you. You can probably find them in a volume, mabe two volumes, on Amazon for really cheap. Or you can buy them individually, but that will be more expensive.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Why do you think that someone else's "interpretation" will make things any clearer. No one alive was there to even know if these were actual events or just Jewish myths and fairy tales. I tried it with a concordance. It didn't help.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think Study Bibles will help you out alot
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There are several guides to help you understand the bible. I like by bible study group! We talk about the verses and chapters of the bible. If we disagree on the meaning of something we can talk it out. If only we could translate the original text in to the way we speak today.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 4:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Witchqueen, I was pagan for 36 years.. I feel the same way about every pagan/wiccan/new age book ever written, I did even befor I became Christian.. I am sorry the bible didn't help you find what you were searching for, I truly am.. But it has done amazing things in my own life..
    Ren_Ren

Comment by Ren_Ren (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010