I'm a new mom and I feel overwhelmed. Does anybody have a strategies for coping with a new baby?

I feel guilty for even asking this question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• :) Don't feel guilty. It's a big life change to suddenly have this tiny helpless person that depends on you for their every need. I would say just try not to do it all. If you have friends or family that can help, go for it. If someone can watch baby for a hour or two, take it to do something you want to do. Also find something you both like. My baby loves to listen to music. Music is a passion of mine so I spend many hours singing and dancing with him.
    Anonymous

• Sweetie don't feel guilty. EVERY mom has felt this way, I promise. Do you feel that you are depressed? Post partum depression can happen at anytime after giving birth. Do you have support around you such as family, friends, church....whatever you call support? Don't hesitate asking for HELP!

If your little one is crying and you know he/she is fed & dry, then put he/she down in the crib and step out for a few minutes to take a deep breath.

It would be great if you could find someone (again, someone from your support system) to keep the baby for a few hours while you either went out and relaxed or rested at home. You really need to take care of yourself, it will make you a better mother.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I felt the same way when my son was born. It will get better though. Rest as much as possible. Don't try to do everything. Get help if you have anyone that can help you. If you can just get someone to watch the baby for an hour or two so you can rest or just have some time to yourself it will really help out. And try to sleep whenever the baby is sleeping.
    kwhite0609

Answer by kwhite0609 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My baby would almost always fall asleep if I but him on my stomach. So I would take naps with him like that. Also if you have someone who can take a night feeding that block of sleep really helps.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Thank you... :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENED BUT PLEASE WALK AWWAY WHEN YOU FEEL OVERWHELMED - NEVER EVER EVER SHAKE A BABY, NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2008